Countess of Rothes

ian Hough

Dec 17, 2002
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Happy Birthday to the Countess Tomorrow - Am I right in believing her maiden name was Miss Dyer Edwards? - When She married the 19th Earl of Rothes (Norman Evelyn Leslie) and took on the title of the countess of Rothes - Does anyone know what their surname was?

Mar 28, 2002
Was it McFie?

Judith Geller's "Women and Children First" lists her as:

Rothes, Countess of (Noelle Lucy Martha-Dyer Edwards), aged 27, of London, England.

Where did I hear McFie???

ian Hough

Dec 17, 2002
Cheshire, United Kingdom
DOB 25 dec 1878
rip 12 sept 1956
Married Norman Evelyn Leslie 19 april 1900
He died March 1927
she remarried
on 22 Dec 1927
to Col Claude Macfie

But what was her married surname when she was Countess Btwn 1900 and 1927?
Anyone know?

May 12, 2005
The Countess' married surname was Leslie but she would not have used that generally. Rothes was her titular name.

She would thus have been "Noelle Dyer Edwardes Leslie" while married to Lord Rothes. However she would probably not have used "Leslie" at all. And I am fairly certain she would have signed her name "Noelle Rothes."

But she would have been addressed as "Countess" or "Lady Rothes," even after marrying Col. Macfie, as she did not relinquish her title.

Randy

PS)Another bit. In her last years, as the Earldom of Rothes would have passed to her son and possibly her grandson (?), she would likely have been addressed as the "Dowager Countess of Rothes," to distinguish her from the wife of the sitting Earl.

ian Hough

Dec 17, 2002
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Their is a plaque in St Mary's Church, Fairford, Gloucestershire. Which she placed there in memory of both of her husbands. But I have not come across anything regarding her final resting place. I assume she can not be to far away from he husbands.

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Anyone interested can read about the Countess's childhood home, Prinknash Park, at http://www.counties.co/uk/regional/west/gloucs/stroud/prinknash.html.

This relates the history of the estate and how her father purchased it in 1888 and, after he converted to Catholicism in the 1920's, deeded it to the Benedictines.

Apparently he died before the legal footwork was completed and so his grandson, the Countess's son, inherited the house and could legally have kept it as his own. He did, however, honor his grandfather's wishes and handed it over to the Benedictines after all.

If the html I wrote doesn't work, anyone interested could easily type "Prinknash Park" into a search engine and read about it that way. The house is now open to the public.

Regards,
Brian Ahern

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Okay, I'm apparently never going to figure out how to transcribe a web address correctly. Sorry for any headaches caused...

-Brian

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Andrew, did you try using the resources on this website to find anything yet? That's generally the first place to look. After that, you could maybe ask specific questions, but do your homework first.

Kyrila

May 12, 2005
I'm not an expert on the Countess of Rothes but I have some basic information about her family, much of this from Burke's Peerage. Craig Stringer and others who have made a more in depth study of the Countess will know more.

For those who don't want to read through the lineage below, suffice to say Lady Rothes' grandson is today the 21st Earl.

Lucy Noel "Noelle" Dyer Edwardes married Norman Evelyn Leslie, 19th Earl of Rothes, in 1900. They had two sons, Malcolm (b. 1902) and John (b. 1909). Lord Rothes, who served in WWI as Colonel of the Highland Cycle and was wounded in combat, suffered with his injuries until his death in 1927, at which time his title passed to his eldest son, Malcolm.

Noelle then married Col. Claude MacFie of the Seaforth Highlanders but did not relinquish use of her title, being referred to as the Dowager Countess of Rothes. She died in 1956.

Her son Malcolm, 20th Earl of Rothes, married Beryl Dugdale. They had a son and two daughters. He served in the House of Lords until 1959. The Rothes Chair in Public Health Opthalmology was established in his name after he passed away in 1975.

His son, Ian, succeeded his father as 21st Earl of Rothes at his death. Ian, born in 1932, is the current Lord Rothes. In 1955 he married Marigold Bevan, the present Lady Rothes. They have two sons. Lord Rothes, as a hereditary peer, was entitled to attend the House of Lords until the abolition of hereditary rights in 1999. In 1978 he organized the Clan Leslie Society, appointing U.S. diplomat the Hon. Alexander Leslie Klieforth as his American commissioner. The first U.S. branch of this group was ratified in Charleston, SC in 1980. Gatherings are held biennially.

For more information log onto www.clanlesliesociety.org.

This is the present Earl of Rothes, Ian Leslie, as he appeared in a 1951 portrait by Edward Seago.

85682.jpg

COURTESY: Clan Leslie Society International

May 12, 2005
Also, as I recall, the name is pronounced "Rothez," not "Roths" as is commonly thought. I talked with Ben Holme about this at the BTS convention last year and he said he also believed the correct pronunciation is "Rothez."

Jan 28, 2003
Randy,
just to muddy the waters here and make everything more complex, almost inevitable in matters aristocratic - I wonder if the Scottish Leslies' are related to the Irish ones (Anita Leslie whose book 'Edwardians in Love' I mentioned to you recently). My guess is, probably, at some point, as the Scots were great colonisers of Ireland. If so, I think there is a US connection with the Jerome sisters, Churchill etc.