Court case to recover the telegraph machine

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
The engines are probably one of the last things they'd ever raise. Those must weigh a pretty few tons. From a historical perspective, they have little to do directly with the disaster, very little to tell us. And if any part of the ship is in fact a gravesite, it would be the engine rooms where the engineers stayed at their posts.

The wireless room was a critical scene of action from beginning to the end of the tragedy, and nobody there.

May 19, 2020
Raising the engines was the techy side of me wishing that. I understand how the wreck is a memorial and grave for 1500 and that it should remain undisturbed. Perhaps once the hull and decks dissolves we can see the engines and boilers better.

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
Well perhaps I'm wrong. I do think that the engines themselves wouldn't tell us much, but they'd be pretty impressive standing in the Smithsonian or the British Museum.

But that's a huge artefact. 700 to 1000 tons each. If you're going to raise something that big, you might as well raise the starboard side where the iceberg hit. Now that would be some artefact!

May 19, 2020
Tim, that would be a very cool artifact to see in person. I've read somewhere the total amount of damage was only 12 square feet worth that opened to the sea. It would be cool to see the sheered off rivets and any burst seams. I've also wanted to know if Titanic grounded herself on the berg but any evidence of that may have been destroyed or worsened by impact with the ocean floor. IMO, I see no reason to not raise certain artifacts for display in a museum. It helps the memory of all those 2200 plus people continue on. I wouldn't want to see anyone trying to damage or steal from the wreck or remove personal items where bodies once were out of respect for the lost.

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
I look forward to seeing the Marconi system. We were very close to it in 1998, but planned on a recovery of it in 2000. That was before the illegal takeover, when all things went to the lowest levels.

Reactions: 1 user
B

Bob_Read

I would like to see them remove the cover over the forward B deck mystery object. I would only take a few minutes and we could see what is under it and solve an enduring mystery.

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
What's the mystery object? I've never heard about this before.

Reactions: 1 user