Court case to recover the telegraph machine

Nov 14, 2005
Steven: I was afraid to click on your link. I thought it was going to have something to do with a wood chipper.
LOL...In all fairness most of those dumb warning lables on machinery like "dont put your hands in rotating blades of mower" are the result of dumb ass dudes. :p

Reactions: 1 user

Robby House

Jun 9, 2016
Kathleen, GA
Personally I'm very happy about the ruling and on the whole really don't have many objections about salvage of materials from the wreck site provided the act itself doesn't do harm to the ship or if it does is limited in nature. I think the Marconi equipment is definitely an item worthy of salvage as it plays such a prominent role in the whole story of Titanic's ill-fated maiden voyage. On the issue of the wreck site also being a memorial and cemetery I just don't view salvage operations (when carefully done) and honoring those that perished during the sinking as incongruous items. I tend to think if I were one of those that perished back then, I wouldn't have objections of the salvage of the ships various fixtures and items of note. But that's just me. Anyway, I'm curious now as to the methods they will attempt to use and how precisely they will do the recovery.

Nov 14, 2005
I read that Ocea
No, they did not file a lawsuit. They made an application to the court seeking permission. Big difference. If you care to know what the ACTUAL proposal and dive plan is, see the link below and click on each of the pdf files.

I read thru the plan. Informative. Thanks. Ambitious plan. I looked at the pictures from 15 years ago. Looked in really bad shape back then. You can see the Motor Gen set looks like its internals are probably busted up or have just corroded and collapsed by the way they are resting against each. Well I guess it must be worth it to them to spend the money to go after it.

Nov 14, 2005
I doubt it will happen.
You could be right. But if they go ahead with the Aug/Sept planned mission they just might get it done before an appeal stops it. If they are serious then they better get while the gettins good so to speak.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>> I doubt it will happen. <<

It's even odds at this point. The last time anybody was down there, the roof was very fragile with holes opening up. If it's collapsed since then, it's all moot. If it hasn't, then it's game on!

Nov 14, 2005
Knew that was coming. Probably drag out for years. I don't know why NOAA has a stake in shipwrecks. Seems like that would fall to a different agency.

Mike Bull2019

Oct 8, 2019
UK
The retrieval plans linked to above via Dropbox are now out of date. What was actually approved by the court can be seen near the start of this web chat, from about 7 mins onwards. Non-destructive, with manipulators reaching through existing holes...if it happens at all.