1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cow Question

Discussion in 'Animals on the Titanic' started by Darren Honeycutt, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Were there cows aboard the Titanic? I know this has been asked before but I just don't remember. I was listening to an old recorded interview of Edwina MacKenzie and in this interview she said there was. Also, does anyone know Charles Ira Sachs? He was the producer of this album with survivor interviews.

2. Bob Godfrey

Bob Godfrey Member

Only on the menus - unless Winnie was talking about some of her fellow passengers!

3. I wonder why she would say that she heard them? She was old enough to remember things vividly. I imagine that many survivors stories changed over the years. I think we all would probably be like that years after the fact and also considering that our minds would not be as clear at such an age.

4. Bob Godfrey

Bob Godfrey Member

She had a great sense of humour, so maybe she was just being mischievous. Was it clear from the context that she was talking about cows? Or something else that sounded like them?

5. Dave Gittins

Dave Gittins Member

In ANTR, Walter Lord mentions the exaggerated accounts given over the years, including the cows. Survivors also remembered full size tennis courts and golf courses. Titanic was also remembered as being much bigger than Olympic. One of my favourites is Edith Russell's memory of seeing somebody on the deck of Californian. She said she had very good eyesight. Even some quite serious memoirs, such as those of Rostron and Lightoller are sometimes wildly inaccurate. It all adds to the fun!

6. Bob Godfrey

Bob Godfrey Member

>Edith's Russell's memory of seeing somebody on the deck of Californian<

Anyone she recognised? [​IMG]

7. I agree with Darren and Dave: our memories change over the years. As things fade we fill in the gaps so details change. As I recall from my undergrad psych classes, it's involuntary and perfectly normal.

I try to keep this in mind when I see survivors' stories stories changing. It makes you realize why eyewitness testimony isn't always the best evidence.

Best wishes,

Cathy

8. Jeremy Lee

Jeremy Lee Member

I don't think there were cows on board at all.....its very unlikely to have cows on board a liner right?

9. Dave Gittins

Dave Gittins Member

At one time it was common to have cows on board. They used to carry chickens too, for eggs and meat. Pigs were another favourite source of fresh meat. The practice was so common that rules had to be made requiring the livestock to be separated from passenger accommodation by prescribed barriers. One of the German liners from a few years before Titanic had a big water tank on board. It was stocked with fresh water fish and passengers could amuse themselves by fishing for them.

By 1912 floating farms were pretty well history and the big liners were equipped with refrigerators. Sailing ships continued to carry live animals well into the 20th century and I wouldn't be surprised to find a few still being carried on local boats in some parts of the world.

10. Noel F.Jones

Noel F.Jones Guest

I have sailed in large passenger vessels which carried a Dairyman and an Assistant Dairyman rated as such.

The concomitant cow however was decidedly mechanical.

Noel

11. Dave Gittins

Dave Gittins Member

"Mary had an iron cow,
    She bought it for a tanner.
    And every time she milked it
    She had to use a spanner."

Who admits to being old enough to remember that elegant poem?

12. >>The concomitant cow however was decidedly mechanical. <<

Uggghhhh....powdered milk! Been there done that! Better then powdered eggs though.

13. I know this is a little out of date but for all you researchers out there (whom are already most probably well aware) there is a theory that suggests that you don't simply just fill in the gaps of your memory but completely rewrite them every time you think about them. This is because of your changing influences and perspectives throughout your life and how your reasoning only clicks in after an emotional reaction has been formed. Therefore, for example, if you dislike someone to begin with you will most probably have a negative view of their actions. Later, if you come to like them, your memory may alter to favour their actions. Just a thought.