CQD CQD Where is Nomadic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
A mate of mine recently was in Paris and I asked him to find Nomadic at its place on the Seine and find out anything he could about its future.

He reports that he could not find it, neither did anybody connected with the Paris riverboats know anything about it. This was in spite of having a French speaker helping him.

Does anybody know what has happened to this link with Titanic?

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Hi Dave.

Despite my French not being as good as it was a few years ago, I've tried surfing the French sites relating to Nomadic to see if I could find out what's happened to her.

I found out that she's owned by a M. Yvon Vincent, is not open to the public, and is apparently (1) suffering from a slow leak, and (2) awaiting some sort of refit. There was a reference to her being opposite the Eiffel Tower, (in her normal location), in June this year so anything that has happened to her must have been recent. (Unless I mis-translated the text of course - always possible!)

Disturbingly, a number of French sites specifically relating to Nomadic seem no longer to be working.

There's a good chance that I'll be popping over to Paris this Summer. If I do, I'll have a look for her, and let you know what (if anything) I find out.

Regards,

Paul.

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
I was in Paris two weeks ago. Nomadic is still there, on the Right Bank of the Seine, just upriver from (but opposite) the Eiffel Tower. There were no visible signs of any current activity.

She's tough to miss. Nomadic is much larger than the surrounding vessels and has her name very clearly displaye on the bow and stern.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Thanks for that, Mark. I'll tell my mate to get glasses. I told him it was just where you say it is.

A

Alex McLean

The Nomadic is indeed opposite the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France. It is painted mostly white, except for a violet/purple lining and the names. The name 'Nomadic' is celarly visible on the bow and stern, and even though it is painted over, there is no mistaking the outline of the word Cherbourg on the stern. I will have some pictures of her as soon as they are developed and scan them for my web site; www.geocities.com/gr eat_liners/
Cheers,
Alex McLean ^_^

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Alex, I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but do you have Ken Marschall's permission to use his paintings on your website? I've observed that copyright infringement is not taken lightly with the membership of this board.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
As an owner of several copyrights, give US a break. Our intellectual property is not only our product, but our livelyhood, and for it to be used without our permission or remuneration is a violation of the law. In other words, if you used any of my songs or written words, you're taking money away from me that would go to feed my kid or pay my electric bill or mortgage. So Michael is very right to ask this question, and Alex is obligated to either remove the artwork or produce something from Ken that allows him to use them. That goes for anyone who is using other people's copyrighted materials on their website (and it's a rampant problem). You can't use a photo from James Cameron's "Titanic" because "he doesn't need the money, he's rich," either. It's not your call - it's the law.

Hope this clarifies things for you.
Kyrila

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Greg, Kyrila summed it up pretty well. As there are several published authors and researchers here, I'm sure you can understand why copyright infringement ruffles a few feathers with this group, and rightly so IMO.

Aside from that, it's the law!

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Jan 5, 2001
I'll second that!
wink.gif

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
If only everybody understood the rules (both moral and otherwise) when it comes to copywriting.

Erik

A

Alex McLean

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that also.
I apologise for any inconvinience I have caused, and as of now, I have taken all Ken Marschall's pictures off my site until I obtain permission. Being only 13, it is commonplace for people my age to not regard copywrite laws, and I have also seen many websites with Ken's magnificent paintings on them. I sent a letter to Ken asking for his premission not ling after I created the site, and I had said to myself that as soon as I got word from him, I would either keep or dispose of them.
Once again, I am sorry for any inconvinience I have caused, and hope you accept my apology.
Alex McLean.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Not a problem Alex. If you have any questions regarding copyright, you might want to find time to ask a qualified attorney about it and get his/her advice. It could save you a lot of trouble later on. Good luck with your website.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Status
Not open for further replies.