Create a line

• Thread starter Rocky Whiteside
  • Start date
R

Rocky Whiteside

Lets have a bit of fun. Create your own Ocean Line, talk about one of your ships, even give a drawing if you want, oh, and a brief history.. I got this idea from a topic on this message board. It can be from any era of time.

Line: Stream Line

Stream line is out of Great Britain and a small sister line in Italy, and were founeded in 1892 and 1895. The small sister line, the latter. It was founded by George Whiteside, a wealthy English man. The line is still running today.

One of its most famous class of ships was the Elizabeth Class. The first in the Elizabeth Class, out of three, was the R.M.S. Elizabeth. The idea for this class was Cunards idea to have two new liners in 1907.

The R.M.S Elizabeth's keel was laid November 8, 1906. Her first voyage was on May 1, 1909. She took a bit longer to finish, because the owner of the line, now George's son, Thomas, wanted the new ship to be perfect. Eventually, by 1912, all were finished; Elizabeth, Sara, Rose. the latter two were hospital ships in the first world war. Elizabeth carried troops.

J

Jack Marshal Martin

I noticed no one posted on this but I thought it was a cool idea. Anyway, I have this idea roughly worked on a line but I still can't decide on a name

As of now it's the North Star Line (I thought it sounded just a little too similar to 'White Star Line'), which was founded by Andrew C. Marshall in 1901. Andrew's father, Henry T. Marshall owned a renowned cargo shipping company that transported jewels and precious metals from the British colonies in South Africa and India on a contract from the British Government. He also had a company of tugboats that helped push the large ocean liner's out of port. Growing up around ships Andrew had a keen interest in them from a young age, but not the workhorses his father managed. He had an interest in the luxurious ocean liners the his father's small tugs moved. However it was in September of 1900 that Andrew travelled on the White Star Line's Oceanic II and seriously considered ocean liners as a career. In December of the year he established the company with the help of several partners he knew well because of connections his father had. For seven years he worked on the design for the 'ultimate' ocean liner. He recruited former architects from the Royal Navy and well as acclaimed interior designers and even a member of the Red Cross so the ship could be sensibly converted to hospital ship in war times. When he approached the sponsors, who had long grown impatient, they were delighted with the design, having caught word of Cunard's liners-to-be and White Star's intentions to follow suit. A construction order was placed almost immediately at a shipyard in Scotland, but the yard had to be completely resized for a ship of these proportions, which delayed the project significantly. In 1909 the completed hull was launched and interior work and the likes began. In 1912 the ship was finished and ready for its maiden voyage on April 16th. It was considered to delay the voyage after the Titanic incident, but overruled as most most still didn't really know what happened and the R.M.S. Palatial was born. Sadly, on the 20th of April the Palatial struck an iceberg in the North Atlantic and sank, killing many passengers as there weren't enough lifeboats and no laws had been changed yet. After this, their orders already placed as well as some redesigns being made, the Palatial's younger sisters the Imperial and the Monumental were launched with them both serving as hospital ships during and both surviving World War I. In 1924 a fire broke out on the Monumental in Scotland during her winter refit. Deemed too expensive to restore the Monumental was gutted and her hull was kept for another time (later the 30's cruise ship Sapphira), leaving the Imperial alone on her North Atlantic route. She eventually had some of her engines and boilers removed along with all of the steerage and seconds class spaces removed to make an entirely first-class ship that became more of floating, elitist club than an ocean liner. The company never built any other ships (Andrew feeling his dream accomplished) and the now cruise ship Sapphira and the Imperial continued their services until the company dissolved in 1959.

(I hope this was okay and if the Palatial sounded 'Titanic-y' it was supposed to as it is the setting for a story I am writing and I couldn't set it on the Titanic because I wanted to change so much it would be disrespectful to the ship.)

T

Talira Greycrest

This looks like fun.

My line is called the Sprite-Water Shipping Company. It’s British and was founded by Gianni Elias York in 1896. Until recently, the company was run by his sons, Terrance and Kayden, but it’s now run by his grandsons, Frederick, Roberto and Valentin.

The company’s first ship, RMS Electra, began her maiden voyage to South Africa, with a stop-off in Portugal, on July 12th, 1900. Passengers were reported to be very pleased with their accommodation and the range of activities they were able to participate in during the voyage. Four years later, on August 3rd, 1904, the company’s second ship, RMS Pera, was brought into service.

On October 1st, 1908, a third ship, RMS Dorothea, came into service. By this time, a connection had been made with an American company, the Silver Tide Corporation, in North Carolina, which would allow Sprite-Water ships to travel in American waters.

In late 1909, construction began on a fourth ship, and on June 18th, 1912, the RMS Matilda came into service. Passengers once again were reported to be pleased.

In mid-1914, construction began on the RMS Paulina, however, with the on-set of WW1, it was decided that, once completed, she’d be used as a Hospital ship. On March 8th, 1916, she began making weekly trips to the Mediterranean, taking supplies to troops and treating the injured.

The six original ships are now retired, but have been replaced by a fleet of twenty liners: RMS Kaila, RMS Savanna, RMS Estrella, RMS Aryana, RMS Shania, RMS Livia, RMS Ada, RMS Annabella, RMS Kierra, RMS Mariana, RMS Leia, RMS Briana, RMS Diya, RMS Eliza, RMS Luciana, RMS Tabitha, RMS Victoria, RMS Tiana, RMS Lilyana and RMS Danna. The destination list has also grown to include over 50 different countries.