Crew Photograph

Chris Dohany

Jan 8, 2001
Very nice picture indeed. I've seen a similar photo, taken in the same room but with a different group of survivors.
Some of my suggestions as to the identities of the crew in the photo: The man labeled as number 23 is Lookout George Hogg; number 21 is A.B. Joseph Scarrott; number 3 appears to be Lookout Reginald Lee; number 4 appears to be A.B. Ernest Archer; number 6 may be A.B. Edward Buley; number 7 may be Frederick Fleet; number 1 may be Bosun's Mate Albert Haines. Number 20 looks like a jolly fella, also looks familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
This is quite a find, Henning!

Regarding identifications. I think Chris' suggestions are extremely plausible. Number 6 in particular stood out as looking very similar indeed to other photos I've seen of Edward Buley. In addition to the above I think 10 is very possibly Albert Horswill who escaped in boat #1. Perhaps 22 is Thomas Jones who commanded boat #8? Number 19 could be boat #3's coxswain, George Moore and I have a feeling also that our jolly fellow #20 could be John Poingdestre of boat #12.

Chris Dohany

Jan 8, 2001
I concur on Jones, good call. I was thinking 20 may be Philip Viggot, Poingdestre is a good call too. 5 could possibly be QM Bright. 11 may be QM Alfred Olliver. 12 may be Walter Perkis. 15 bears resemblance to QM Robert Hichens (what I thought was a mustache appears to be his upper lip). 17 appears to be Lookout Alfred Evans. 16 looks like A.B. William Weller.

Chris Dohany

Jan 8, 2001
Hello Andrew,
The photo that Henning has at the above link is an image map; go over the faces with your mouse and they become clickable. If you look at the URLs they link to you'll see the numbers we have been going by.

S

sadie anne neely

heya was wondering if any one could help me??? there was apparently a young lad amoung the ship, by the name of robert, aged 16 from liverpool. there is a man from liverpool on this site, but at the age of 36. this is not the person i am looking for. he was also a bedroom steward. any info??? my email is [email protected] thanks x x x x

K

kerry lorraine cox

Hi everyone I'm a new member and talking of photos are there any of Albert Hunt, Thomas Hunt or Bill Hebb. Albert was my great grandad.I know of the photo on display at So'ton Maritime Museum.All 3 men were crew. 2 survived but sadly Thomas died with the ship.Hope you can help. Thanks

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hallo, Kerry. In case you haven't noticed it, there's a photo of Tom Hunt on his biography page here at ET (the full page, not the summary).

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Sadie (if you're still around), please excuse the late reply. I suspect you might have been reading 'The Diary of Margaret Anne Brady', which features a 16 year old bedroom steward from liverpool called Robert. The book is a well-written work of fiction, but it does feature a number of real people. Robert isn't one of these - a lad of that age would have been far too young to find employment as a First Class bedroom steward.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Kerry, here's another one for you. the Daily Sketch, April 30 1912 included a photo of Messrs Hunt, Hebb and Pragnell, three of the survivors, with their happy friends. The 'happy friends' are more likely family members, and 'Pragnell' was actually George Prangnell, a greaser. The pic is reproduced also on page 174 of Dave Bryceson's book The Titanic Disaster as reported in the British National Press. The image quality isn't good, and unless we assume a 'left to right' arrangement in the order of names it's not entirely clear who is who. But worth checking out, especially since you get a bonus of other family members in the picture. Hebb's name, by the way, is generally listed as Albert.

Chris Dohany

Jan 8, 2001
Also reprinted in the Bryceson book is an image of Albert Hunt lighting his brother Sylvester's cigarette (or vise-versa) through the gate that separated the surviving crew from the masses.

Ralph Dellar

May 10, 2004
Has anyone encountered old photos (in books, magazines, museum collections, personal collections, ....) of the Dining Stewards, say a group photo celebrating the Titanic's maiden voyage?

Ralph Dellar

May 10, 2004
Passengers needed passport.
Did crew members too, or did they just carry some kind of identity card with photo?

Would crew identity card photos be located in an archive in the U.K. such as PRO or GRO? If so, where?

Were Saloon (Dining) Stewards "unionized" (such as part of a brotherhood or similar association)?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Several Trade Unions were represented on Titanic, including the National Union of Stewards and the National Union of Ships' Stewards, Cooks, Butchers and Bakers. Union cards found on some of the recovered bodies of crew members were crucial aids to identification, but many carried no means of identification and certainly nothing like an ID card.

There are some very clear Press photographs of fairly large groups of Titanic crew survivors, mostly taken either in the USA or at Plymouth after their return to England, in the book Titanic Voices. Unfortunately in most cases there are no names to go with the faces.

Chris Dohany

Jan 8, 2001
Along the same lines as a passport, the crew had discharge books that logged their voyage details. One of the front pages recorded the mariner's full name, year and place of birth and physical characteristics - height, hair, etc. - but no photograph. Many of these books seem to have gone down with the ship, as survivors' replacement books were inscribed as such, with a notation "original lost through shipwreck."

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Ralph, after the disaster photographic identification cards were issued to sailors, I think from around 1920. Consequently, quite a few exist in the British Archives for Titanic crewmen who survived. Captain Lord's there too. Here he is, looking rather sour and short of hair. He probably tore it out, thinking of Herbert Stone's stupidity.

87919.jpg