Crew schedule between sailings

William Oakes

Mar 6, 2020
If this has been asked before than please forgive me and move it to where it belongs.
Had the Titanic survived her maiden voyage, she was scheduled to return to Southampton from New York on April 20, and I assume arrive in Southampton on April 26.
Would her next sailing then fall on April 30 back to New York?
I am particularly interested in knowing what happens during the 3 days in the home port before sailing again.
Do the officers go home to their families?
Do some stay on board the vessel.
Does the crew go home or stay on board?
I realize that the vessel must be restocked and re-equiped for the next voyage; so I guess I'm asking who stays on board and who is given a few days of leave before the next voyage?
I am keenly interested in knowing this and would welcome the expertise and knowledge of the members.
Thanking You in adavnce!
William

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.
If this has been asked before than please forgive me and move it to where it belongs.
Had the Titanic survived her maiden voyage, she was scheduled to return to Southampton from New York on April 20, and I assume arrive in Southampton on April 26.
I am particularly interested in knowing what happens during the 3 days in the home port before sailing again.
I realize that the vessel must be restocked and re-equiped for the next voyage; so I guess I'm asking who stays on board and who is given a few days of leave before the next voyage?
I am keenly interested in knowing this and would welcome the expertise and knowledge of the members.
Thanking You in adavnce!
William
Hello William.
I can only answer from my own experience of such liners.

it depends very much on whether the crew paid off then signed on again for a single voyage. The Officers would probably have been on short term Company Contracts.
The Normal practice was to stand down sea Watches and have a day Officer and a Night Officer and a night crew. The night men would go to work around 6 am and local men would go home. In the morning, the night men would catch a little sleep and then go ashore until it was time to come back for work. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
May 3, 2005
Thanking You in adavnce!
William
I think it has been discussed on prior threads , but did any of the crew , and especially the officers , have any kind of leave or liberty to leave the ship while in New York ?

There is a scene in "A Night To Remember" where Lightoller tells his wife he is going to buy her "some big frilly garters with big bows...hoo hoo !" when he is at New York. Would he have had time to do so ?

William Oakes

Mar 6, 2020
I'm more interested in what happenned or would have in the home port of Southampton?
Would most of the officers get to go home for a couple of days?

May 3, 2005
I'm more interested in what happenned or would have in the home port of Southampton?
Same question as to whether there was anything in WSL comparable to leave and liberty in the USN whether the ship was at Southampton or New York ?

Just a trivia note on comparison of off duty times in USN -vs- WSL.
The ship on which I was stationed in the USN was a Seaplane Tender which spent six months anchored, stationary or on station at either San Diego, CA, USA or Iwakuni, Japan. There was plenty of time for both liberty and leave at San Diego and plenty of time for liberty at Iwakuni. Of course this was during peace time.

Last edited:
May 3, 2005
So, how long was that leave?
24 hours?
2 days?
Liberty I believe was anything off duty for less than 72 hours or 3 days.
Leave I believe was any thing off duty for more than 72 hours or 3 days.

Leave was usually up to 14 or 30 days at most.
On the ship on which I was stationed , most persons took their leave at times so that they could go home for Christmas or New Years.

I believe there were some special occasions were there was a holiday on a Monday and you could begin your liberty on a Friday evening and not have to be back on duty until Tuesday morning. ( Such as the holiday falling on a Monday such as Memorial Day or Labor Day.)

There were also some provisions for Sick Leave or Emergency Leave.

William Oakes

Mar 6, 2020
Same question as to whether there was anything in WSL comparable to leave and liberty in the USN whether the ship was at Southampton or New York ?

Just a trivia note on comparison of off duty times in USN -vs- WSL.
The ship on which I was stationed in the USN was a Seaplane Tender which spent six months anchored, stationary or on station at either San Diego, CA, USA or Iwakuni, Japan. There was plenty of time for both liberty and leave at San Diego and plenty of time for liberty at Iwakuni. Of course this was during peace time.
Good Info!
Thanks very much!

Titanic's Second Officer David Blair wrote on the 4th of April 1912 that he had "been home all day and down on board tonight on watch." It seems the Blair family had accommodation in Southampton at the time.