Crew substitution maybe not already known

A

Anne R. Sutton

My step-great grandfather,a Mr Rutter, sailed as a stoker on the Titanic assuming the identity of his close friend, who did not wish to take his allocation on this sailing. The identity of his friend is unknown to my family and Mr Rutter perished in the disaster. We do know that his widow, Alice Rutter, received a pension from the White Star Line, but have no further details.
I would be very grateful if anyone can help me to trace the unknown friend or can give any useful information about this event.I am at present composing a Family Tree.

Mar 18, 2000
I've read about a "Thomas Hart", a fireman, who sailed on the Titanic, and was lost in the sinking. A month or so later, the real Thomas Hart showed up, alive and well at home.

Details on this are in Eaton & Haas' Destination Disaster.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Alice, have you contacted Cunard about this? Since they bought up White Star, they would certainly have their surviving records or know where they are archived. If Mr Rutter's widow received a pension, they would have to have had some way of sorting out the who's who so the money goes to the right person. In other words, they would have to sort out what the assumed name was that he signed on as. Find this assumed name, and you probably have your man.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

H

Hermann Söldner

Hello Anne,

White Star knew about the fact that a Mr. Rutter sailed under an assumed name. Rutter perished and his wife Alice received also a weekly allowance from the Titanic Relief Fund. (Class G). Could you tell me the full name of your relative?

Hermann Söldner

Chris Dohany

Dec 12, 1999
Mrs. Rutter was case number C. 119, the cases on either side of hers, numerically, were 118, Gradidge and 120, Hesketh. The committee appears to have attempted to list names alphabetically among the different departments. While failing at times, many were at least grouped by last name. It could very well be that Rutter was the man who boarded as Thomas Hart. Details on your step-great-grandfather, Mr. Rutter, would be very much appreciated if you can share them.

Brian Meister

Mar 19, 1999
Dear Ms Sutton,

Sydney Frank Rutter sailed under the name
of a friend, Mr Graves. He is listed as such
in the records, but a memorial announcement
in the Echo cleared up the matter.

Would love to hear from you privately as I
have accomplished extensive research on the
crew.

[email protected]

Best Regards,

Brian Meister
Columbia, SC
USA

Dec 13, 1998
Hello everybody, as for Thomas Hart: he showed up alive and well, but another brother (I assume it was anyway) died instead. There was a death announcement in the local press at the time.

Best regards,

Peter

A

Anne R. Sutton

How can I find the memorial announcement in The Echo for Sydney Frank Rutter please? Can anyone tell me what was written.

P

Philip Kellingley

There were several announcements in the Southern Daily Echo - 7, 8, 9 and 11 May 1912. All read: Sidney Frank Rutter. Beloved Husband of Alice Rutter of 8, North Front, Aged 30

Phil