Crew support

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
I want to know how the surviving British & Continental European crew of the Titanic - particularly the low wage sailors like firemen, trimmers, greasers etc - supported themselves (or were supported) while waiting to be allowed to return to the UK & Europe. Some of them wee even summoned to the American Inquiry.

When the Titanic sank, almost all of these poor people would have lost what little personal belongings they had and very likely arrived in New York on board the Carpathia with no money and not even a change of underwear. They probably had not received enough food on the Carpathia considering the circumstances on board. I am guessing that it must have been very difficult for most of them in New York in terms of room, board and supplies. How did they cope?

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
I want to know how the surviving British & Continental European crew of the Titanic - particularly the low wage sailors like firemen, trimmers, greasers etc - supported themselves (or were supported) while waiting to be allowed to return to the UK & Europe. Some of them wee even summoned to the American Inquiry.

When the Titanic sank, almost all of these poor people would have lost what little personal belongings they had and very likely arrived in New York on board the Carpathia with no money and not even a change of underwear. They probably had not received enough food on the Carpathia considering the circumstances on board. I am guessing that it must have been very difficult for most of them in New York in terms of room, board and supplies. How did they cope?
The US equivalent of the Sailor's & Fireman's Union put the crew up in a mariners home when they landed in New York.

Their American union brothers gave each man a free change of clothes, footwear, a comb and an issue of tobacco.

There are quite a number of photographs existing of the surviving crew receiving their new kit and posing together at the union's facilities.

I'm not 100% sure about the pay but I'm pretty sure White Star did came to some sort of accommodation with them and they received some money until they returned to the UK.

There was an anecdotal account of how some of the men who had to remain in the USA to testify in Washington D.C rather enjoyed themselves in the cities hotels and bars.

Reactions: 2 users

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
The US equivalent of the Sailor's & Fireman's Union put the crew up in a mariners home when they landed in New York.

Their American union brothers gave each man a free change of clothes, footwear, a comb and an issue of tobacco.
Thanks. Did they also provide basic meals?