Crewman did not report

J

john alcock

My grandfather, Joseph ALCOCK,is said to have been offered employment as a stoker on the Titanic following his discharge from the Royal Navy. He missed the boat as a result of his bicycle breaking down while riding to Southampton from Portsmouth. His name does not appear on the list of non reporters that I have seen. Has anyone any suggestions please.

J

john alcock

>Thanks Michael. I expected to hear what you said. However, given the conviction of two of his children of the accuracy of the story I considered it worthwhile pursuing whether there might be other explanations. Cheers,

T

Tom Pappas

Is the offer of employment extant? That would pretty well nail it (if its provenance could be established).

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Good point Tom.

John, if you have something in writing which can be verified as authentic, you may have something to go on. Unfortunately, the "conviction" of his children as to the stories authenticity isn't very good evidence. Families with stories of reletives on the Titanic are legion, but on close inspection, usually turn out to be little more then family legends.