Crewmen lostbiographical information

Dec 22, 2005
To anyone who is interested in some biographical information on crewmen who were lost/saved as a result of the sinking of the Titanic, and that have connection's to my home town of Birkenhead, Merseyside, England :

Bedroom Steward William Faulkner was picked up by a Norwegian fishing trawler, and was taken to New York, where he was able to send a telegram to his family and friend's to say that he was safe. He was the son of Mr. Sam Faulkner (groundsman at the Birkenhead Park Cricket Club, and later Steward of the Constitutional Club, Oxton, Birkenhead). William Faulkner became a Steward as a young man, first working with the Pacific and Booth Lines, before joining the White Star Line. For many years he was a Steward on board the S.S. Celtic, which he left to join Titanic, for her maiden voyage. He had been a keen member of St. Mark's Church Choir, Claughton, Birkenhead, and was married with two son's. He had a brother who was lost on the Republic, when she eventually foundered after the collision with the Florida, on 23rd January, 1909.

2nd Class Steward Joseph S. Wheat, lived at Highfield Grove, Rock Ferry, Birkenhead, and had formerly served on board the Olympic, and was serving on board her when she had the collision with H.M.S. Hawke. He was promoted to Second Steward when he joined the Titanic.

Steward Thomas Teuton was 28 years of age when he was lost in the sinking. He had previously served as a soldier in the 1st Bn. Royal Welsh Fusiliers, during the South African War (1899-1902), and had been involved in the relief of Ladysmith and Mafeking. For his service in this war, he was awarded the Queen's South African Medal (with five bars), and the King's South African Medal. He retired from the army after eight years service, with the rank of Sergeant. In 1911, he was married, and went on to have a son (who was three months old when his father was lost in the sinking). Thomas Teuton had originally lived in the town of Birkenhead, but later moved to 19, Middle Road, Southampton. Just prior to getting married, he joined the White Star Line as a Steward, and amongst several other ship's of the line, served on board the Teutonic, prior to joining the Titanic.

Library Steward Richard E. Burke, was from Liscard, Wallasey, Merseyside, and was the son-in-law of Mr. William Lodge, of the Primrose Hotel, Withens Lane, Liscard.

Base Violist Mr. J.F.P. Clark, had been a member of the Argyle Theatre orchestra, Birkenhead, prior to leaving Liverpool, to join the ill-fated ship. He had played in such places as the Phiharmonic Hall. Before joining the Titanic, he had been feeling a bit run down following a heavy season, and hoped that the sea voyage would do him the world of good. He was the brother-in-law of Mr. V.V. Akeroyd, Conductor of the Liverpool Symphony Orchestra.

I have ten sheets of photocopies taken from my local newspapers, containing the above information.......and a lot more, as well as photograph's of a lot of people mentioned. I will copy these for anybody who may be interested, but I will need cost's to cover copying and postage (£5 or $5, depending on where you are situated)( I hate to charge people, especially fellow Titanic enthusiast's, but I am on a low wage, and could not cover the fee's needed....I am very sorry).

Hope this information has been of some use to someone.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Bedroom Steward William Faulkner was picked up by a Norwegian fishing trawler, and was taken to New York, where he was able to send a telegram to his family and friend's to say that he was safe.<<

Perhaps I'm missing something but Mr. Faulkner was made his escape in lifeboat 11. The only ship to pick up survivors from the Titanic was the Carpathia. See https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/biography.php?id=1860

Were you perhaps thinking of a different incident?

A

Andrew Williams

Hello Peter!

£5 pounds doesn't sound bad to me. Count me on your list as one of your future purchaser's.

Welcome aboard.

Andrew W.