Crystal chandelier over Grand Staircasesource

M

mike disch

Was the crystal manufactured by H&W, Belfast, by a subcontractor in Ireland, or imported?

Dec 7, 2000
Mike,

The Dome fixture for the fore and aft grand staircase domes (along with many other ceiling lamps for foyers and cabins) aboard Olympic, Titanic and various other White Star Line ships were supplied by Perry & Co.

Daniel.

M

mike disch

Thanks for the info. I guess I should have been more specific. In re the chandelier under the dome at the Grand Staircase, I know that all fitting out was done by H&W, Belfast, & "Perry & Co" sounds Irish, but did Ireland manufacture the crystal itself, or was that imported from elsewhere? (I'm asking because a visitor to Titanica-The Artifact Exhibit has asked, and I'm trying to answer her question accurately.) If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it.

Dec 7, 2000
Mike,

The ad for Perry and Co. says they had offices in London. I didn't look at the ad too carefuly, but I think they had branches in Liverpool as well. So I'd say they were certainly England based, and not an Irish company.

On top of Harland and Wwolff doing the majority of fitting out, there was at least another company that did interior decorating and fitting out. Of course other fittings such as furniture etc., would have been imported from all over Europe. A thread here on ET a few years ago dealt with a Dutch company that supplied various articles of furniture for some of the special suites.

Daniel.

M

Marcia Plain

What types of crystal and other materials went into making the chandelier in the grand staircase?
Marcia

S

Steve Hurst

would someone know where i might could buy a reproduction of the crystal chandelier that hung in the dozens in and around the grandstair case of the titanic , a company that makes them? if so could i get the phone number or the web-site? -email me at shurst@rose.net Thanks -Steve Hurst
90009.jpg

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Steve, I've been looking too but to no avail it appears this lighting fixture is not in reproduction. Kyrila has mentioned the possibility of contacting someone in Pakistan to create a prototype of it and you could possibly purchase one from them. You may want to speak with her about it because she's had luck with the Dining Saloon Caryatids.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Steve,
What about the company who reproduced all the stuff for the Titanic Expedition? They have a full scale model of the Grand Staircase.
All Ahead Full!

May 3, 2004
Shane,
Sorry to say, but the chandeliers that are in the expedition are not reproductions of the original. also the full scale GSC is not exact and just to give the feeling of what it be like if you were there. I have been to several exhibits and none of them are true to Titanic. I have done a lot of research on the GSC for my model, and have only found what is in photos of RMS Olympics Grand Staircase. If you should find any information on the lighting I would be most interested.
Frank

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Frank,
Never hurts to see what a little digging can do...I will be using all my resources to find an answer.
Keep checking back!
Shane N. Worthy
All Ahead Full!

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
http://www.lampsplus.com/htmls/search/searchlist.asp?SKU=51591&CustID=20040912225038505&SID=22948863&CP=All+Products%2F%2F%2F%2F+%3B%3BAVAILABLEONLINE %2F%2F%2F%2FAttribSelect%3DCategory+%3D+%27LIGHTING+FIXTURES%27&p=4&EASESSION=JSESSIONID=ps8w49pr50ci&RPP=40

for those interested, that's the closest (without using a cut glass bowl) I've been able to find matching the ornate fixtures used in the 1st Class staircase area. It's a pity that they don't have such a thing in production now because I'm sure they'd find a market for it.
sad.gif

S

Steve Hurst

Hello Everyone
i have looked myself at this one here its in lampsplus ,even though it has a glass bowl -i think the crystal beads could be replaced into it .Tell me what you think? -Steve
91569.jpg

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
that reminds me of the one similar to what's hanging up in my bedroom at home although the flustmount parts are less decorative.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Well,
Those people at RMS Titanic Inc. aren't very informative....oh, well.
Sorry, I tried...
Shane N. Worthy
All Ahead Full!

Sean Hankins

May 15, 2004
Hi Frank and Shane,

Frank is right the light fixtures RMST uses in their exhibits arent reproductions of the originals. They're more like something you'd get at a home improvement store that only has a similar basic shape. The ones that were in the exhibit I worked at were similar to the link Tripp posted in that they were flushmount and didn't have the small part at the top with the screws. The light fixture in the link is almost exactly what they use.