Crytal chandelier over grand staircase

M

Marcia Plain

Does anyone know about the materials the chandelier was made of? What types of crystal were used? Where did the crystal come from? Was there any other materials used in it other than crystal?
Marcia
happy.gif

S

Stephen Stanger

Austrian crystal, though I am unfamiliar with the varieties and I think it was the company that eventually became Swarovski.

M

Marcia Plain

Stephen,

Thank you for the information. It will be helpful, but can I ask you for a source as this is for a research paper and I need to document.

Thank you,

Marcia

P

Patrick Christophe Morrissey-D'amore

Question:

The cut crystal ceiling light globes on both the Olympic(Olympic foyer globes as seen in Titanic: An Illustrated History and Titanic(Dinning hall and reception room D-Deck) very much resemble some of the classic Waterford cut patterns seen today, several of the ceiling globes in their catalogue very much resemble the Olympic's fixtures in the book. Is it possible that Waterford was commissioned to create only these?

-Patrick D.-

Bill Sauder

Dec 19, 2000
Patrick:

Those fixtures were subcontracted out to Perry and Company of London. There is no indication that Perry in turn contracted Waterford to provide them in whole or part. Since there is nothing technically remarkable about these features (from a glass working point of view) it is unlikely.

The similarity is probably due to the "family resemblance" that most period reproductions have. Since manufacturers tended to draw on the same 17th and 18th Century prototypes, the results are similar.

To give a concrete example: The staircase bannister in the Huntington Library in Pasadena, CA is almost identical to the bannister in the Grand Staircase on the Lusitania. Not because the Huntington architect copied Lusitania's, but because both were patterned after the same staircase bannister in the Palace of Versailles.

Bill Sauder

P

Patrick Christophe Morrissey-D'amore

> Thank you Bill. Interesting to learn.

-Patrick D.-

Jan 5, 2001
Hi!

Any guess on the value of the chandelier
in todays dollars?

I fear it would only be a guess -- we might get close in pounds, try:

http://eh.net/hmit/

'How Much is That?'

Just type in the 1912 value in sterling or dollars, and it converts it -- loosely.

Best regards,

Mark.

Dec 7, 2000
All,

I think I read somewhere that the fancier state-room chandeliers cost a few hundred pounds each. I'm assuming that the Boat and A deck grand staircase foyers' lamps each cost about the same. This seems a bit much. Anyone know if its true?

Daniel.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Marcia,
I am inquiring right now with RMS Titanic Inc. about who did their reproductions for the Titanic Artifact Exhibit, which has a full scale model of the Grand Staircase. Hold on for a bit...and I will get you the answer as soon as they reply.
All Ahead Full!

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Daniel,
You bet that's steep! In today's money, that would be roughly, 6,206 pounds ($11,009).
All ahead Full!

Nick Lavenice

Feb 22, 2004
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone has a photograph of the Grand Staircases chandelier in the Dome Glass? I've seen Ken Marshalls painting with it, but how did he know what it looked like?

Matt Simons

Mar 12, 2005
I read somewhere that the Staircase lights were anywhere from 500 to 700 pounds. It said the larger lights were around 700 pounds. I'm not sure the source of this information, I'm still trying to find it.

Nick Lavenice

Feb 22, 2004
I wrote this awhile ago, but I was still wondering if anyone knew how we know what the chandelier in the middle of the dome glass of the grand staircase looked like. I have never seen any illustrations or photo's that show it, other then an illustration of Britannic's chandelier. Is there a resource out there that shows this? I've seen plenty of models and paintings of what it looked like, but I guess I want to know how they knew. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Nick