Cunard Cruise Line

D

Dana Cantu

So...my family is thinking about taking a cruise on the "Most Famous Ships In The World" I was just wondering if anyone has ever been on QM2 or QE2 or the newest edition to their fleet, Queen Victoria? I think we might be planning to go on the Queen Victoria, I really am trying to get them to go on a transatlantic crossing, although we live in Texas so lol it'd be kind of stupid...but it would be so much fun and pretty much a once in a lifetime deal. Anyway just wanted to ask if anyone has been on one?

[Moderator's Note: This thread, originally posted in an unrelated topic, has been moved to the one which is discussing the Cunard Line. JDT]

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hello Dana,

I've been on both the Queen Elizabeth 2 and Queen Mary 2 for westbound voyages, but not the Queen Victoria yet. Many of the members here, have also traveled on these ships. I very much enjoyed the time that I spent on both crossings, had some interesting experiences (such as getting stuck in an elevator on the QM2 after a 70 foot wave struck the bow), met a lot of great people and have a lot of treasured memories.

I highly recommend experiencing a cruise or a crossing on either vessel. The experience of it all, will last you a lifetime.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
I don't know why you think it would be stupid. I did a transatlantic crossing on the QM2 last year and I live Los Angeles!
I would recommend doing the transatlantic crossing on the QM2 over a cruise on the Queen Victoria.
First of all, the QV is a run-of-the-mill cruise ship that only goes 23 knots like any other cruise ship so there wouldn't be anything nostalgic about it other than the color of the funnel. Also it would also be more difficult for your family as most of the QV's cruises leave out of Southampton and you live in Texas.
On the other hand, going on the transatlantic crossing, you would be on a real Cunard ocean liner (built by the same people who built the Normandie, the France, etc.) and would feel the ship stretching her legs going close to 30 knots taking on the north Atlantic. If you're lucky you'll hit a storm and feel the roll of the ship. You'd still need to get transatlantic airline tickes, but only one way.
You may think that you will get bored, but we never did. There is so much to do on the ship that we actually were a little bummed that we didn't get to do everything. By far one of the best things that I've ever done and I've been on other cruises.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
PS - Book a westbound crossing.
Jason has the right idea about the westbound voyages. You'll get 25 hour days and feel more relaxed. We did the eastbound and were a little tired everyday as it was like spring forward every morning with 23 hour days.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Dana,Or if you have the time and can afford it why not do a roundtrip crossing aboard the QM2 which would be New York-Southampton-New York.I did that last October and I am doing it again next October.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I agree with Joe: Book a westbound crossing.

I also did both the east- and westbound crossings, once going west on the QE2, once going east, with four friends, on the QM2, and twice going west on the QM2 (the first time was the ship's first Southampton to New York crossing; the second time was heading back after the eastbound crossing; two of us returned to the US on the ship; our two friends flew back, earlier).

For the eastbound crossing, you need to be prepared for the continued one-hour advancing of the time. My cabin mate and I noted how tired we were, when we awoke on the third day of the voyage.
The westbound crossing gives you back that extra hour, though I would not discourage an eastbound crossing, so that you can brag that you got to do it.

I, too, noted many interesting people that I met on the crossings, and had my share of "adventures", including having a wave hit the QM2, while I was at the gymnasium; that threw off evceryone's work out routines.
April is a dicey month to cross, due to the potential for severe storms.
Like Jason, I also knew what it was like to be in an elevator when a wave strikes the ship.

When the last day of the crossing was sunny and smooth, everyone took advantage of the opportunity to get outside, after being ordered to stay in during the previous days, due to storm activity.

I am now looking forward to the August QE2 trip; will have five days at sea, and five days in ports (two requiring tenders service).

For the Queen Victoria, and the future Queen Elizabeth, I will probably, later on, book a Panama Canal trip: fly to New York, stay overnight and get on the ship the next day. I can disembark the ship at Los Angeles, and head home.