Cunard funnel model colors

Feb 6, 2003
Im currently constructing the 1/600 scale model of the Mauretania and I need to know the right color of her funnels. The mix of paints so to speak. I really want it to look good so. Any help is appreciated thank you.

T

Trevor William Sturdy

Joshua,
Cunard funnels are red with black tops - sorry, dont know the exact shade of red.
Regards.

Feb 6, 2003
Has anybody ever built a model of a Cunard ship. I was just wondering the what company of paint you used and what colors you used. Thank you.

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
I built three (plus another later on) Cunard ships in 2000, and that question was on my mind, too. When I asked, the response was to use an orange paint. In photographs of the Queen Mary at Long Beach, you can barely tell the funnels are more orange in color than red. I suppose it looks darker in the distance, or under certain lighting conditions.

http://titanic-model.com/models/al-leet/al-dnlab.jpg

Here's an example of how it turned out.

Adam

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
I don't belong here, but nevertheless....

The story goes that the original 'Cunard red' was a unique mix based on a red-lead boot topping, used because it was the only mix which could withstand the heat from the furnace uptakes without discoloring.

Whether Cunard red eventually became supplied as such or was a standard bosun's mix, perhaps David Haisman might advise - he seems to have slapped enough on in his time.

Regarding the Queen Mary at Long Beach, there was a furore a while back about them switching from the unique Cunard red to regular paint store red because of an availability issue. Therefore, and regrettably, the present visual impact of the vessel is not the same as when she was in service.

I recall Cunard funnels as being uniquely 'brave' and seemingly fluorescent.

Not being an expert in such matters I can only suggest consulting a historical high color resolution photograph of the QM or some other contemporaneous Cunard vessel and then doing a mix and match from available model paints.

If you wish to strive for ultimate authenticity, you can take refuge in the propensity of marine paints to fade over time through exposure to the elements.

Noel

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
"Like what color bottle or number & company did you use to paint them either is greatly appreciated. Thank you"

Testor's orange would suffice.

Adam

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Judging from the date on this I'm sure that you've painted your funnels already, but I think that the color for the funnels is called "Insignia Orange" which was either Testors or Patra. This was years ago and may not exist anymore, but was the color recommended by the 1/350 Entex model of the Lusitania back in the 1980's. These did look more orange than red when I painted them. If you go to the Queen Mary in Long Beach, you will see that the funnels are a red-orange as well.