Cunard Line History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd start a new thread.

Heard on the radio this morning, that it was 168 years ago today, that the first Cunard Steamship, the Brittania, arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia, on her maiden voyage.

Another Canadian first.
happy.gif

Hi Grant,

I believe it left July 4th. Same month and day the Mauretania entered the scrapyard at Rosyth.
I mentioned it in your Aquitania post but I'll ask here as well - did you get your Empress book and was it satisfactory?

Best,
Eric

Hi Grant,

am so very happy you are pleased and it arrived in good order. I thought you'd like it - nice volume. The value range online went up to double what I asked for as it seems to be out of print - I just chopped 50% off and all is well. I'm happy and so are you
happy.gif
so, good deal!

Best,
Eric

Joe Russo

During the 1950's when Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth were doing their transatlantic service (one on each side of the Atlantic), were they scheduled to do this once a week, or did their schedule have them turnaround as soon as they were in port and head back the other way? History books say "weekly" service, but that can be misleading and kind of goes against profitability.

Also, since speed was their purpose, did they always sprint across the Atlantic at 28.5 knots (weather permitting)? Wouldn't this get them across the Atlantic in about 4 days?

E

Ellen Grace Butland

Could someone please post me a link to the Cunard Archives (if such a link exists) Also a link to the satallite maps of the world.I would be grateful for anyone's help.

[Moderator's Note: This post, originally posted as a separate thread in another topic, has been moved to the pre-existing one discussing the same subject. JDT]

Status
Not open for further replies.