Cunard LookAlike on the Great Lakes

Adam Eickholt

Feb 16, 2005
Hi Chris,

Cunard never operated any steamships on the Lakes. Also, if you look at the photos closely you will notice the Ericsson's stack doesn't fit the Cunard paint scheme because the bands separating the funnel segments aren't painted black.

The John Ericsson was sold Canadian in 1930 and remained under Canadian ownership for the rest of her life. She ended her days when the City of Hamilton decided to remove the boat from her museum berth in Confederation Park and cut her up for scrap during the winter of '67-'68.

The flag being flown is the Canadian flag before the introduction of the "Maple Leaf" flag in 1965. It was known as the "Red Ensign." The Canadian Coat of Arms is visible on the flag in the second photo.

Canadian flags:
http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/cpsc-ccsp/sc-cs/df5_e.cfm

The red and black stack colors seen in the photo are those of the Ericsson's last owners, Upper Lakes Shipping of Toronto.

I hope that helps!

Adam

Jan 21, 2003
Do you know where i could find photos of the John Ericsson as a museum? or wasnt she around long enough to get many?

Adam Eickholt

Feb 16, 2005
The only photo I've seen of the Ericsson at Confederation Park is the one from "Great Lakes Ships We Remember II" (which also features the Ericsson on the cover). The Marine Historical Society of Detroit has reproduced the entry from their book, including the Confederation Park photo, on their website:

http://www.mhsd.org/publications/glswr/ericsson.htm

The Ericsson was only located at the Park for a year or so, but I'm sure other photos must exist! I have to commend Upper Lakes for recognizing the historic significance of their ship, and diligently working to find a home for her, even though in the end funds just weren't forthcoming.

At least the Meteor is still around in Wisconsin to preserve at least one example of Alexander McDougall's odd looking ships!
happy.gif

Adam