Curious trainangular devices along A deck

Feb 14, 2011
Along A deck there seemed to be a series of odd triangular instruments-they look as if they would be used to facilitate the filling of the ship with coal, or perhaps a platform rested upon these devises when the promenade was enclosed. It looks like they can swing out. First off, what are they called, and what are they used for? My hunch is they played a role in filling the ship with coal..

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
If I remember, those are coaling outriggers. They hold lines that allow the coal buckets to be hoisted between barge and ship. I'm pretty confident that's what they are, but someone else could confirm or deny that.

Adam

Feb 14, 2011
That certainly makes sense to me!!

If that was their function, I suspect Olympic's were removed once she converted to oil...

Regards

Tarn Stephanos

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
Not necessarily. In a post-WWI photo, I can clearly see Olympic's outriggers still attached. They could have easily been reused as outriggers for fuel lines.

Adam

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I think Lightoller mentioned a long cable used in coaling. It ran along the ship at A deck and he had ideas of lashing lifeboats to it to steady them while loading.

Jan 5, 2001
I think Olympic's were still in place until 1921-2, according to one source I came across. Do you know the precise date of the post-war photo Adam?

Best regards,

Mark.

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
I couldn't date it, but according to Thomas Bonsall, the book's author, the photos were taken in the mid-twenties. It's the last two photos of his book Titanic.

Adam