Current Exhibitions of Titanic Artifacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 1997
Hello All!

It feels like forever since I've last posted here. It's good to be back. I seem to be more of a reader than a poster. That's all fine and well, but by just reading no one knows I'm around. Ahh, the tradeoffs that come with message boards.

I am planning a trip to Boston in Septemeber and wonder if there will be a Titanic Exhibition there at that time. I've heard a lot about various exhibitions travelling around the country, but is there a permanent home for any of the artifacts?

Can anyone recommend of some other "Titanic sites" that are in/close to the Boston area. I'd like to go down to Indian Orchard and hook up with the THS there, but I'll have to see how things work out logistically.

Hopefully Tarn from the message board has some ideas for me. I saw a picture of him "hugging" the Big Piece and I was quite jealous. I'd give my two front teeth to see any of the artifacts. I've only ever seen them in books, and to have them in all their 3-D, full colour glory would be almost overwhelming.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Jason

Reactions: 1 user
Jan 7, 2002
Hi Jason!
There is no Titanic exhibit planned for Boston , though Ive read there is one opening the February at the Norwalk Aquarium in Norwalk CT- a 3 1/2 hour drive south from Boston.

There are quite a few Titanic sites to see in Massachusetts. At Harvard University in Cambridge, visit Widener Library, built in memory of Titanic victim Harry Widener.

Don't bother with the Fall River Maritime museum in Fall River MA- they used to house much of the THS collection, but THS took that collection back a month or so ago......Go to Indian Orchard to see what they have on display...

There are a number of Titanic passengers buried around the Boston area; such as victim Francis Millet,Arthur Newell, (plus survivors Marjorie Newell, May Futrelle, the Asplunds,etc..).There is even a Lusitania passenger or two in these parts..
In the western part of the state one will find THS headquarters, as well as the grave of Milton Long.

In Charlestown MA there is a church that had a ordered a set of holy statues that now reside within the Titanic wreck...

So far no permanent home for the recovered Titanic artifacts. Lets hope such will happen,m and they will not be sold , as such is what the current RMSTI management would like to do...

Boston is a great city- just beware of the 'Big Dig', our drivers, and enjouy the sites!

Regards

Tarn Stephanos

Boston MA

Jul 12, 2005
I just got back from St. Louis to see the artifact exhibit at the St. Louis Science Center. The featured pieces were the Welin Davit arm and a fairlead from the stern. They had the "little piece" of hull plating with rivets that you can touch. Two costumed characters, Molly Brown and a Third Class Passenger. The Grand Staircase is magnificent, but you are roped off and can't touch it or walk on it. First Class cabin roped off, but Third Class cabin had the actor inside to talk to you. Gift shop overflowing with goodies. I bought the photomosaic of the bow and stern sections, and made myself a flattened penny with the Titanic on it! Exhibit stays until April 16, 2006. $12 admission for adults, $10 for seniors and kids. Robert H.Gibbons

A

Adam Tarzwell

OMG I want to go to St. Louis. Is this a travelling exibit? I was to an artifact travelling exibition oh in 1999 when it camme to Toronto. It featured the crows nest bell, a porthole, other stuff I can't exactly remember its been so long. As far as I know though an exibit hasn't returned to Toronto since.

Jul 12, 2005
Yes, this is one of the RMS Titanic Inc's travelling exhibits. As I mentioned above, the two main recovered objects in this exhibit are the fairlead and the davit arm. I saw the exhibit in Memphis, TN and there are alot of new artifacts, including a whole display of paper money recovered, the base of the First Class stairway's cherub, the mast light, and many other items. It's worth a trip. Robert H. Gibbons

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Adam,

quote:

I was to an artifact travelling exibition oh in 1999 when it camme to Toronto.

I worked at that exhibition as the second Titanic Historian. Who knows, I may have seen you there. We had over two hundred artifacts, so it's easy to forget. Some of the items were paper items, jewellery, a leather bag that was full of jewellery when it was salvaged; china, one of the telegraphs from the bridge, Captain Smith's megaphone, some pieces of coal, a steward's jacket and a suit that was rolled up in a leather case.

quote:

As far as I know though an exibit hasn't returned to Toronto since.

That's correct, there hasn't been one since. I hope that changes though, as I would love to see another one here.​

Jan 7, 2002
It would be nice if there could be another Titanic exhibit in Canada- Quebec and Vancouver would be great spots....

Jason, can you believe its been 6 years since the start of the exhibit in Toronto? Time flies!

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Tarn!

I agree, having an exhibit in both locations would be great and plus they both have Titanic connections as you know. Montreal would be a perfect city to start with.

Nope, it is hard to believe it's been that long since we started working at the exhibition. It was an experience I shall never forget. Time truly does fly!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jul 12, 2003
I just saw on the morning news that "never seen before" artifacts from the Titanic will be on exhibit at the Queen Mary. Don't know how long the exhibit will last. The only date I know of is December 17th. I am absolutely going to try to get down there.

Jul 12, 2003
The Queen Mary is docked in Long Beach, California. To read about it, go to www.queenmary.com and click Titanic Exhibit. I don't know what is being shown. The news program where I heard of the exhibit didn't show clips, possibly because it wasn't ready for viewing.

Plus, I don't know what they mean by "never seen before" artifacts. But, to me, it is still worth a peek.

K

Kevin Saucier

I went to the Queen Mary exhibit yesterday and spent about 3 hours just looking and reading. I was a little disappointed that the hull piece was not there or any life jackets but they seemed to have several salvaged items...after all it is the exhibit from RMS Titanic Inc. Each item was elegantly displayed in their own temperature and humidity controlled case...cool. The QM is an excellent place for this show since it's held in the bottom of the ship which gives it an erie feel. Well worth the $15 but far from the show they had several years ago.

The cases kinda' freaked me out about my own collection. Should it be in a climate controlled environment?

Also a couple months before I even knew the QM was going to host the exhibit, I contacted them to see if they wanted some my items on loan for free. I figured it's only a few miles from my house, I could give a little to my community, plus it would be a great opportunity for visitors to see some authentic pre-sinking relics. Got no answer from a phone call or email from the QM staff. Don't know why they would pass something like this up? I don't think they are very well organized and seemed the workers had an "I don't care attitude."

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
Hi Kevin--

Without going into too much detail, the Queen Mary's staff as a whole has a lot to learn about customer service.
smile.gif

I wouldn't be too worried about your collection (doubt it's been through as much trauma as the items in the exhibit), though I'm sure you could google around for some information about the best way to preserve old fabric.

--Jim

rob scott

May 4, 2004
yes, the Titanic artifact tour that's been going around Cali is now afloat: aboard Queen Mary in Long Beach - is this the first time such a thing has been ... on another ship??
;)
here's a snip, item maybe not included in other books and research, poignant :
"One such item is a letter addressed to Mr. Howard Irwin at 1055 S. Hope St., Los Angeles. Irwin had booked passage on the ship, but never made it aboard. En route to the Titanic, he was shanghaied and forced into labor on a steamer bound for the East. He eventually escaped his captors and made his way back home, but his friend, Henry Sutehall, didn't fare so well.

Sutehall went to the Titanic to bid Irwin bon voyage, saw that his friend's baggage was loaded aboard and waited for him to arrive. When Irwin never showed, Sutehall boarded the ship in his place.

Sutehall didn't survive the tragedy, but some of his belongings - a few woodworking tools, a leather belt and some playing cards - did, and are now on display."

here's the news piece, if link gets broken by it moving into its archive it'll still be gettable by search in that archive, and I saved the page too if further quote snips needed ....
http://www.mercedsearch.com/news/761.html

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted elsewhere, has been moved into this existing discussion of the same subject. MAB]

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Hi Rob.

Actually, this is not the first time that there has been a Titanic artefacts exhibit at the Queen Mary. In 1997, there was a mini-exhibit put on by RMSTI; that ran from about May through August.

I have not seen the current Titanic items exhibit; when I met Jerry Nuovo (see the QE2 posting in "Other Ships and Shipwrecks" it was after 7:00 PM and the Exhibit areas are closed at that time). I will have to make plans to visit the Exhibit.

Jul 12, 2005
The Titanic attraction has published its tourist brochure. It is a "four-fold" meaning it unfolds into four tall pages. On the outside is a beautiful night shot of the ship with the headlights on Highway 76 streaking, meaning it was a time exposure. Inside the left and right pages have four pictures each, and the center two pages show the maid on the grand staircase. The left page has (1) steering wheel, (2) tilting decks, (3) Father Brown room and (4) First Class Stateroom. The right page has (1) wireless room, (2) inside the lifeboat, (3) only authorized photo of the Lucille dress in the Dining Room and (4) Madeline Astor lifeboat in Memorial Room. I have 10 of these brochures and will send them to the first 10 people who send me a SASE (business size) to Robert H. Gibbons, 2114 S. Glenstone Ave, #109, Springfield, MO 65804.

Jul 12, 2005
I am trying to get the Titanic Branson thread out of the ice sculpture thread which seems to have merged with the coal fire thread. Robert H. Gibbons

Feb 23, 2007
Boy Robert you take all the fun out of this Haha. If I know where to go to find specific topics I'll lose all the fun of searching Hehe. Just kidding. I do have some specific questions about the exhibit. Have you seen any of my Grandfathers items in Branson? I heard recently that there were some transferred there. Also when is a good time to go there? We are thinking of making the trip over a weekend, possibly in two weeks. Should we purchase tickets ahead of time ? Tom

Jul 12, 2005
Tom, I'll pass to Tim Trower. He's had more opportunity to study the exhibits in depth. I can just say that the Branson "season" is starting and that means traffic on Highway 76 and crowds at all of the attractions. If you are able to buy tickets ahead of time, I'm sure that will guarantee you can tour the exhibit when you want. I hope you have a great time. Robert H. Gibbons

Status
Not open for further replies.