1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

Curries

Discussion in 'Eating on Board' started by Arun Vajpey, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey Member

You could be right. Till the mid 60s, Curry was probably not uncommon in the UK due to the Indian Raj connections. But then it faded a bit; when I came to the UK in 1985, curry was not very popular and when I asked for coriander at the local Sainsbury's, they looked at me as thought I was a Martian. But today, it is a popular herb with the local English people who seem to indulge in their own version of the curry.

Going back to my original question, I was under the (maybe wrong) impression that eating rice was considered beneath their upbringing for the upper classes. Since curries are usually eaten with rice, I assumed that they did not usually figure at rich folks' tables.

2. Jim Currie

Jim Currie Member

In fact, Curry became popular with students in Glasgow from the late 50's onward. There was a restaurant named the Taj Mahal which I visited when on leave. At that time, I was navigator on Anchor Line passenger ships running from the UK to Bombay (Munbai). The food was great and as near to what I ate in India as could have been.