Cut glass bowl GSC Chandeliers

Hi,

I was lucky enough to pick up one of the cut glass bowl chandeliers from Olympic's Elevator foyers from the factory in Haltwhistle a few weeks ago.

I was just wondering if any of the chandeliers seen inside the wreck of the Titanic have the cut glass bowl. All the ones I've seen photos of have glass beads!

Stu.

Ken Marschall

Jan 8, 2002
I know of only one such cut-glass bowl being found. During analysis of the 2001 Cameron footage I spotted one upside down in the debris, apparently unbroken, on B Deck. For my description see the report at www.marconigraph.com.

Because these cut-glass bowls, used on B and C decks, were not held together by the brass wires that held the beaded ones, they were subject to breakage during the sinking either by furniture and/or other objects floating around or by thermal shock when the icy water hit the warm glass.

Ken

Feb 14, 2011
Hi Ken!
I have wondered why most of the beaded crystal ceiling light fixtures survived, whereas cut-glass bowl ceiling light fixtures have not....
Perhaps the beaded light fixtures were indeed more securly fitted to thier brass base....

Ken, do you know offhand if Britannic was to be fitted with ceiling light fixtures identical to Olympic and Titanic, or were there new variations?

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Feb 14, 2011
What struck me about the grand staircase ceiling light fixtures was thier weight...
When helping the conservators place some of the artifacts at past exhibits, I got to hold the brass frame of a recovered grand staircase light fixture, and it was VERY heavy....
Its amazing that so many of them are still dangling by thier wires on the wreck, despite time, decay and gravity...
regards

Tarn Stephanos