Cutty Sark Proposals for future

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
There's plenty of lottery money in the pot Dave, It's getting it directed to the right causes, that's the problem. I don't know why we have to give lottery grants to Peruvian pig farmers - I expect someone will tell me. The lifeboat service? No chance, they don't save the right people - anyone would think they threw some back in.

I could have a right old blog about wasted lottery money but here is not the place.

Rich Davidson

Nov 7, 2006
As far as I can see, the former White Star Nomadic is now going to be saved and restored to form the centre of a new Maritime Museum in Belfast.
Just today my local newspaper announced that the Cutty Sark is now closed until 2008 inorder to totally restore her, include a large auditorium in her hull space and to sit her into this fantastic looking glass ocean - with a gallery and cafe underneath her hull! She will be raised 3ft. The image looks like she is back at sea.

T

Trevor William Sturdy

Just saw a news bulletin advising that the Cutty Sark has been destroyed by fire - what a terrible loss....

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Really tragic, Trevor/Monika.- all but destroyed. Looks gutted from end to end. I heard on the News this morning that an expert said that if the cast iron frame is undamaged they can rebuild it. I believe the sides and masts have been removed during restoration. It's worth bearing in mind that over the years most of the original timber had been replaced anyway.

I know in the case of HMS Victory at Portsmouth replacement of timbers is a continuous operation.

S

sashka pozzetti

If they can do something with the Mary Rose, then I would hope they will be able to piece this back together from what remains. I have visited this lovely ship twice, and it is very popular with children. Fingers crossedx!

Oct 28, 2000
Damage assessments by aerial photos are "iffy" at best, but in looking at the one of Cutty Sark I see more hope than despair. There are internal deck beams and carlins still obviously in situ. This tells me the flames were probably confined to the tent-like structure over top of the work area. If the original iron of the frame wasn't warped, the ship should be rebuildable. And, it is good fortune that a lot of the really irreplaceable parts were removed and not involved.

The ship appears to have come through, but has the trust which supports it? The economic consequences of the fire may be more devastating than the blaze itself. Time will tell.

-- David G. Brown

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
Any of you out there from a museum or galleries background may have noted that, although the fire brigade were on site within minutes, they did not take "offensive action" to fight the fire for 45 minutes. This suggests to me that the ship's disaster plan was inadequate, or indeed non-existent, and that the fire fighters did not know if there was any fuel, gas cylinders, etc., on board. This underlines the need for a proper disaster plan for each museum, gallery, historic ship or heritage site.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The Cutty Sark's website is at http://www.cuttysark.org.uk/ and from what I understand, 50% of the ship's fabric was not on the site when the fire started. MSNBC has a story at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18778157/ and this includes a vidio and a link to a photo page at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18778219/displaymode/1176/rstry/18778157/

The Shipping Times has a story at http://www.shippingtimes.co.uk/item614_cutty_sark_appeal.htm which is an appeal for funds to help with the restoration and a live link to the Cutty Sark Trust Support Page.

Jan 7, 2002
Good lord, based on the photo in today's boston Globe, the Cutty Sark appears to have been completly gutted by fire...
have they determined the cause?

Tarn Stephanos

Jan 7, 2002
According to some reports over 90% of her hull was damaged by fire....
If she is too damaged to be repaired, perhaps the next best thing would be to scrap the original, and build a replica, and incorperate any salvagable bits from the burned hulk into a new Cutty Sark....

I live in Boston- we have the USS Constitution (1797)- frankly I'm amazed she never fell victim to fire...I believe only her keel and some ribs date back to her 1797 launch- everything else has been replaced over the years...

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
The Cutty Sark is of composite construction with iron frames and the framework has survived (but may have warped). In any case, at least half of the vessel had been taken away for storage or conservation, so what was damaged in the fire was, in effect, the remaining 50 per cent of the ship. 90 per cent of that remaining 50 per cent may have been damaged (not necessarily beyond repair), but there seems every likelihood that the vessel will be fully repaired. In other words, it could have been much worse.

S

sashka pozzetti

The item that I saw, mentioned that the reason that much of it was removed for restoration was that these were all the original pieces (with some exceptions of structural parts. They went on to say most of the top deck was replaced in the 1920's and continuously afterwards. They showed all the pieces that had already been removed and were being restored and it was a reassuring site. It included all the cabins, masts, mouldings and the figure head etc etc. The representative being interviewed seemed reasonably hopeful that they would be able to rescue the ship, but that it would cost more. it looked particularly bad because all the wooden protective structure was visible in the film of the fire, and that was really badly burnt. I would like to be optimistic :)

Jan 7, 2002
Well, thanks god it was not Brunell's Great Britian that went up in flames- she is the only surviving ocean liner of the 19th century- and is a far more important vessel than the Cutty Sark...

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
I read in the paper today that the fire may not have been such a disaster. Cursory examination indicates that the cast Iron frames were not seriously damage; it is now almost certain that it is restorable and the attendant publicity could boost the flagging restoration fund. So it is not looking so black (excuse the pun). Every cloud has a silver lining.