Daisy Spedden's Complete account of the disaster

Apr 26, 2005
Is there another place than 'Polar, the Titanic Bear' in which Daisy Spedden's *complete* account of the disaster was published? I mean here that I would prefer to buy or read it somewhere else than in a children book. Was it ever published in a particular magazine, just like Mrs. Harris, or even in a local newspaper, like so many survivors did. Was her little journal, in which she wrote everything about the Titanic, got public after her death. Thanks to anyone who can help. Regards,

Charles Provost

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Hi Charles:
"Polar, the Titanic Bear" is much more than a children's book. Don't let the large type and many pictures throw you off. It's beautifully written and also contains an epilogue that tells much about Daisy Spedden. Although Daisy wrote the book and painted the cover as a gift to her son at Christmas 1913, the book wasn't published until 1994, by descendents of hers. It's a wonderful book, and I've given many copies of it to relatives of mine who wouldn't be bothered by normal Titanic books.
Best Regards,
Mike Herbold

M

mark bray

The book is really great. I had read about her giving it to her son and knew that it was published, so I went to my public library and asked if they had it and they did. I sat in the library and read it. It is such a wonderful and colorful book. A Titanic Book collectors collection would not be complete without it.

Mark

Apr 26, 2005
Thanks Mike and Mark for your appreciations. I don't doubt “Polar, the Titanic bear”￾ is a wondeful and well-written book, I just don't think she wrote everything in it. Remember the little journal that Daisy kept on board the Titanic? I think there is a way to obtain a copy of it, the complete account of the Titanic voyage and the final disaster, as seen by the Spedden family and, more particularly, by Daisy. But I'm sure I will also buy “Polar..”￾ and add it to my collection. Thanks again. Best wishes,

Charles

D

Daniel Rosenshine

Hi,

There are some quotes from Mrs. Spedden's diary in the Epilogue of the book. A short account by her is in the Gracie book, and as George Behe told me either a large portion of her diary/the whole thing/ or a small portion (I'm not sure which one) was printed in one of the past issues of the THS journal. Anyone have a date here? Perhaps someone has that issue!?

Daniel.