Dan Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Hello! I’ve lived in Michigan the past two and a half decades, and have always had an interest in the Titanic, since I was a child. I saw the 1953 Hollywood film loosely based on the voyage around 1981, then A Night to Remember shortly after that. ANTR haunted me for the longest time. I saved all the articles I could when the ship was discovered in 1985 and from there made renderings of what I surmised various parts of the ship looked like, because then there weren't a lot of circulating Titanic photos. No other ship has captured my interest as much as the story of Titanic, though a local wreck, the Edmund Fitzgerald, continues to captivate my interest.
My most focused interest in the Titanic is historic and photographic/visual research. Last year, I co-wrote a Titanic plastic model assembly tutorial guide with colleagues from Canada, Australia and other points around the globe, utilizing over 500 changes and additions to the best available Titanic kits today. The guide helps those who wish to assemble an historically accurate Titanic out of existing plastic kits on the market. New material is always surfacing due to intense research by members and participants of the ‘Titanic Research and Modeling Association’ and the ‘Debris Field’.
In all the years I’ve researched the Titanic, I think the last 5 or so have been the most fruitful, due largely in part to the dedicated people such as those on this and the above-mentioned web sites!

(Oh, and I have friends from Texas! :) )

Dan Cherry
(no known relation to Titanic survivor Gladys Cherry)

R

Rachelle Joseph

Hi Dan! Glad to see another Michigander on board.
Did you happen to see the Discovery Channel special on raising the bell of the Edmunds Fitzgerald. I would love to do a model. Where can I get one?
Peace
Rachelle

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Dan, I've been interested in getting a model kit of the Titanic, but unfortunately, the pickings here in South Carolina a rather slim. About the only one I ever see is that dreadful Revell kit. You wouldn't have any idea where I can get a good one would you? And who makes the best one?

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Dan:
Dumb question:
Most people smile like this :)
But you go like this :))
Does that mean a big smile or a double chin?!

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Mike,
no, the :)) is nothing more than a smile at the end of a sentence enclosed in a parentheses; but the double chin is a good one - you may have started a new smiley symbol ID ! :)

Rachelle,
Yes, I did see the Discovery Channel special on the bell. I visit Whitefish Point on occasion to reflect on the shipwreck. As far as a model, I have not seen any in the local stores. A person in town actually scratchbuilt a Fitz a couple of years ago, but I can't remember his name. He was retired Navy, and put his expertise into the model, which was highly detailed.

Michael,
The only time I had access to a Titanic other than the $11 1/570 Revell kit was when the 1997 movie was out - a 1/350 Minicraft Titanic. They usually run from $50-$70, but since I picked mine up, the kit was retooled and better detail added. My personal opinion is that it is the most accurate out-of-the-box kit today, both the old and retooled model. The 1/400 Academy makes me wince a little, as does the 1/570 Revell, old and new kits.

I would recommend checking out their web site:

http://www.minicraftmodels.com

or here, where I found the price to be about $20 less:

http://www.internethobbies.com/internethobbies/tesmodship.html

If you can get a hold of the Minicraft kit, then comes the high detail brass photo-etched components to create a highly detailed and historically accurate Titanic model. Check out these sites for those:

http://members.xoom.com/DebrisField/

http://titanic-model.com

Best of luck - I hope you find what you're looking, and if you, or anyone else, need any help, just holler!

Regards,
Dan

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Thanks Dan. I'll have to get back to this one to check out all the links after I go through the rest of the board. If I get around to building a model, I want it to be the best. :) Revell used to be a good outfit until Aurora sucked them up. Then they just went to that unmentionable place in a handbasket. :-(

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Dan:
Congratulations on your work on the models. Unfortunately I don't have the patience to finish any of them. If you ever get out to Southern California be sure to look up the huge models that Father Roberto Pirrone did of Titanic and Lusitania. They are about 16-17 feet long and are on permanent diplay at the Los Angeles Maritime Museum in San Pedro.

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Michael,
I anticipate I'll be ready to post the first of my Titanic model pictures "under construction" within a month's time, through the Debris Field web site. Will keep you (and any other interested parties) posted.

Dan

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Dan, I'll be looking forward to it. I'm kind of sitting on the fence about buying a kit at the moment...at least until I can find a catproof way to protect it. With 11 of our feline furfreinds in the house, one has to be a little careful.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Dan, addendum; my folks just rendered the fencesitting moot. The Minicraft model is now in my possession thanks to my B-Day. I'm going to have to hit the hobby store this weekend with a shopping list for tools and paint...and possibly a display case.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Michael,
you might wish to consider a heavy aquarium, and cut a track into a desk top for the aquarium to settle down into an inch or so. That might cat-proof the model.
How much detail do you want to incorporate on your Titanic?
I can recommend several web sites which sell brass, to-scale photo-etch components to replace kit-issued railings (www.goldmm.com, tomsmodelworks.com)
One can spend over a hundred dollars on PE components alone to give the model more scale-realism. From davits to railings, window frames, benches and skylights, a really cool model can be had. Time consuming, but the end results, IMO, are worth it.
Just shout out on how historically precise you want your Titanic to be and I can offer assistance and recommendations.

Regards,
Dan

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Well, I want it to be as historically accurate as possible. Just so you know, this is the updated kit. What I'm wondering is how I'm going to do the thread for the rigging, wireless antennea and so on. Gotta be careful.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Aug 29, 2000
Michael- invest in a little paint compressor- my Miserable Old Captain's ONE redeeming virtue is that he builds me swell models. He used to get that canned propellant stuff- which works ok but the airbrush thingie with the compressor is a dandy. He used the blue painters tape to mask off the hull colors for a nice crisp edge. He has won ribbons for his models -his Entex Lusitania (about 32 inches) is a beauty- he even weathered it by toning down the funnels to look sooty. Scale Model Magazine is full of good tips. I'll ask him about the rigging- he has used my black sewing thread, tweezers and a ton of patience to make ratlines and antennae wire.

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
In the modeling circles, black thread is out, monofiliament fishing line is in. It is more to scale, doesn't droop or tighten with changing humidity, and won't snap easily. Painted gray, it looks great on models I have seen.
I haven't gotten to the rigging part of my model as of yet.
One thing I did was take some old coal from the turn of the century, grind bits down into powder and mix it in with my flat black paint to get a sooty coating on the top of my funnel grates.
There are a LOT of things that can be done to make your Titanic model into a showpiece. All it takes is time, patience and one step at a time!

Regards,
Dan

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Rivet counter.com? Is this a Titanic site I haven't heard about? Sounds like a place we all need to bookmark.

Shelley, thanks for the advice. The thought occurred to me but I don't know if I can justify the expence.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Michael,
happy new year! rivet-counter.com is only a tutorial web site which is a step by step in building a Minicraft 1/350 Titanic model (old kit) incorporating all the latest details discovered to be a part of Titanic. It's a very meticulous guide, meant to help build an historically realistic model. I am having some more things added this week, after examining picture after picture for the tiniest things. Your model, should you choose to incorporate all the tutorial findings, would be more accurate than Cameron's scale model used in the movie (and that model was darned good!).

Regards,
Dan

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Well, it's been almost 4 years since anyone's checked out my personnel file (ha!) on here; so for all the "newbies", my specific interest in Titanic is visual/layout. I'd like to think some day I will have my 1/350 scale model of the Titanic finished, if I can stop working on projects with timely deadlines!

Also, if anyone else is buildng a model and needs advice, just holler! I'd be happy to assist!

Dan

C

Christina Rindt

Erm, Dan...
Yoohoo!
happy.gif
Did you say you were attempting to do this 1/350 T scale model? Is it the Hatchett's? And you did say that if anyone else is building a model and needs advice, just holler! Holllleeerrr!
Christina

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Well, it's been informative and enjoyable, but it would appear my presence and participation on the ET forum has passed its usefulness.

Thank you to all of those who answered my inquiries over the years, and where I was qualified enough to do so, I was happy to help answer questions in return.

It's been nice to have met some of the participants from this forum over the years. It's been fun to kick back and talk Titanic.

If, on the off-chance, anyone would like to talk about the nuances of assembling a detailed Titanic model, feel free to email me at my Hot Mail account - just type my name with no spaces, all lower case, at hotmail.com and I will be happy to get back with you! (typing it out straight-up tends to increase the amount of spam due to site spidering, and heaven knows I could do without the dozens of spam messages I already receive daily, heh).

Thanks for the experiences, good times and the opportunity to participate.

Signing off...
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.