Daniel Dieter Abt

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Daniel Dieter Abt

In 1967 I was lucky enough to be taken by my grandfather and grandmother on a road trip through the southwest in a brand new Bonneville convertible. In Phoenix we stayed a few days at a Holiday Inn. Everyday my grandfather and I would play in the pool and everyday I was supposed to have school lessons from my grandmother. One bright and sunny day just as my grandfather and I were headed out to the pool "Titanic" with Barbara Stanwyck started on television and my grandmother announced, much to my dismay, that the movie would be my lesson for the day. At seven years of age and on vacation this was not my idea of fun! When the movie was over I was upset for a reason other than having to stay in the room with the curtains drawn...I refused to believe that the story was true! My amazement with this story so much like a Tower of Babel, Sodom and Gomorra, and other biblical stories has never slackened. I am amazed at what it tells us about how we as a race thought in past and how much we still have not changed. It amazes me from a standpoint of scale, technological and tragic. It amazes me in regards to the history of its era, the eras that lead up to the event and its effect on history (and its subsequent place it history today). This fascination lead to me to learn about shipbuilding, history, design, biography, a whole new world of knowledge was opened to me the day that my lesson was "Titanic". And it still boggles my mind that the story is true.

Daniel Dieter Abt
Tucson,AZ
05-26-01
235pm PST
[email protected]

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Daniel,

Welcome aboard! This is a wonderful site!

It's good to hear from you and I look forward to your posts.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
Hi Daniel

Welcome aboard. Pay no attention to that Jason one....he's always been bad with names! ;-)

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
HA! I edited my earlier post! You won't catch me doing that again Sam!
happy.gif

Daniel, pay no attention to this one....I typed David instead of Daniel. My apologies Daniel, I was thinking of another post which I previously posted to another gentleman here who name is Dave.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

C

Christine Geyer

Welcome Daniel (!) It's nice to see you here. Your name doesn't sound quite like the typical native from Phoenix, does it ? Somehow it sounds quite familiar to me
happy.gif

Anyway I think your grandparents had a good idea.

Looking forward to see you posting onboard.

Many regards
Christine

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
Good point Christine.

Daniel, you must be the first person in the phone book for the whole USA! he he ;-)

Regards from rainy Belfast

Sam

Diane Ostrow

May 19, 2001
Hi Daniel!
Welcome aboard ET! Look forward to reading your posts and hearing more of your thought on the Titanic!
Ahoy!
Diane
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.