Daniels on Titanic

May 23, 2006
I am trying to find out any deeper or further information on any of the passengers with the last name of Daniel or Daniels.These three are named Robert W. Daniel, Sarah Daniels, and Sidney Edwards Daniels. If anyone has ANY further information on any of these three,PLEASE post it here! ALL 3 of them could potentially be my DIRECT ancestors, I just have to put the puzzle together. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks and God Bless.....

Trevor Powell

Aug 22, 2005
Jason, I believe there's is a good deal of information on Robert Daniel in Judith Geller's 'Titanic: Women and Children First'.

Henry Loscher

Mar 6, 2003
Palm Harbor, Florida
Robert Daniels was a student at the University of Virginiafor 2 years He was a captain in the First World War. Later he became a state Senator. I believe he was accompanied on the Titanic by a French Bull Dog which he had purchased for $750 This any many of facts/myths about him can be found in the University of Virginia Alumni News, Winter 1999 issue. If interested I can send you more information on him.

Regards, Henry Loscher

May 23, 2006
That would be just awesome Henry. i appreciate anything you can send. I'm trying to find out if he or any of the other Daniels on Titanic are in my family lineage. I am currently inquiring my grandmother on my dads side (where the Daniel name comes from) to see if she has any documentation because she has an EXTENSIVE family tree dating WAY back to I don't know when.....

Henry Loscher

Mar 6, 2003
Palm Harbor, Florida
> Jason, As I previouse wrote to you, the source of the following facts is the Alumni News of UVA, the winter edition, 1999. The article was written by Helen Daniel Rodman, Robert Daniel's niece.

Paraphrasing from the article, Robert Daniel (RD) met his first wife to be, Eloise, on the rescue ship CARPATHIA. She was Mrs. Lucien P. Smith, whose husband did not survive. They married one year later. RD's niece claimed that he refused to talk about his experience. On April 24th, the Richmond Times-Dispatch published an article which carried the headline "Entirely Nude When Picked Up". The article was reprinted in the DAILY PROGRESS, a newspaper published in Charlottesville, Va. as RD had attended the University of Virginia. RD's niece also stated in the article that he had escaped with his life in a terrible fire at the Hotel Carlton in London.

The article contains information which at best can be called oral history. I suggest you write to the Alumni Association of the University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia to see if you can get a reprint of the article. The address is The Editor, University of Virginia Alumni News, P.O. Box 3446, Charlottesville, VA 22903. You might try their website www.alumni.virginia.edu or email them at alumnews@virginia.edu. Good luck. Regards, Henry Loscher

May 23, 2006
I greatly appreciate your aid in my journey to the history of Titanic and its passengers.If I find anything, I' will let you know. This has been a great help you have provided, so again, thank you.

Arne Mjåland

Oct 21, 2001
Since Robert W Daniel was senator of Virginia, His death attracted much attention in newspapers in that state. Huntigton Adverticer carried an obituary Dec 21 1940. There was one in Hopewell News Dec 23 1940. and one in Richmond Times Dec 21 1940.
In the Herald Dispatch Huntington, West Virginia there was May 4 1940 an obituary about Mrs Mary Eloise Hughes Snith. She was a former wife if Mr. Daniel. According to the obituary she had in the months perceding her death been gathering material for a book on the sinking of the Titanic. Anybody know if the maniscript exists anywhere?

jamie hague

Sep 24, 2008
Hi everyone! Sorry I've joined this so late. RObert Williams Daniel is perhaps famous Titanically because of his champion French bulldog Gamin de Pycombe and his claim to have opened the kennels. There is a good site (including a picture of RWD and dog)try www.bouledoguenice.com.

Feb 24, 2018
I am trying to find out any deeper or further information on any of the passengers with the last name of Daniel or Daniels.These three are named Robert W. Daniel, Sarah Daniels, and Sidney Edwards Daniels. If anyone has ANY further information on any of these three,PLEASE post it here! ALL 3 of them could potentially be my DIRECT ancestors, I just have to put the puzzle together. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks and God Bless.....

Hi, Tonite I randomly found this website & stumbled upon your post. My grandmother was Margaret Daniel(s) & growing up, she always told me how she & her parents had tickets on the Titanic. At the last minute they missed the boat! I plan to do all the research I can to find out more about passenger lists etc, But in my excitement I didn't want to forget to reply to you since the "Daniel family" caught my eye. Anyway, if there's anything you can share or if I can help you just let me know. :) Rainy