Apr 5, 2020
Greetings all,
I have a question I really want solved with a straight answer! I’m seeing the note Jeremiah Burke scribbled as a farewell message for his homeland of Ireland. The date, though… historians are saying 10, 12, 13, and 14th of April, but the note, in my eyes, says it was wrote on 10/4/1912. Is this date right or wrong? Look up the note and see for yourselves!

Joe L

Jun 9, 2020
In Ireland, as well as many other countries, dates are written in Day, Month, Year format, while the standard for most Americans is Month, Day, Year order. The order varies around the globe as well as within the same community by different agencies, companies, etc. So indeed, the note, according to "your eyes", 10/4/1912 really is April 4th, 1912, or as genealogists write it 10-APR-1912.

Reactions: 1 user
Apr 5, 2020
In Ireland, as well as many other countries, dates are written in Day, Month, Year format, while the standard for most Americans is Month, Day, Year order. The order varies around the globe as well as within the same community by different agencies, companies, etc. So indeed, the note, according to "your eyes", 10/4/1912 really is April 4th, 1912, or as genealogists write it 10-APR-1912.
I remember seeing an article, also on Encyclopedia Titanica, that Burke went on Titanic on April 11th, when Titanic was at Queenstown (now Cobh). So do you think he wrote it a day earlier on April 10th?

Joe L

Jun 9, 2020
I remember seeing an article, also on Encyclopedia Titanica, that Burke went on Titanic on April 11th, when Titanic was at Queenstown (now Cobh). So do you think he wrote it a day earlier on April 10th?
Okay, I screwed up. I thought the confusion was about how the date was written, not what the actual date on the note was. I looked at the note again, and I would make the case for 14-APR-1912.