Dave Gittins' Book or rather CD-Rom on the British Inquiry

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
It's working for me now. Woot!

"Meanwhile, who is Patricia Hewitt and what very distant connection had she with Titanic? Trivial? Not half!"

I am sure that this isn't the answer, but it's the best I can come up with.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
This is getting weird. I've just received Paul's order and packed it. I'm wondering if there was some hitch at PayPal. The site was rather slow.

Paul, thanks for the Patricia Hewitt article. I was quite unaware of it. The connection I am thinking of is more obscure.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Firefox/Win2k works OK. I've just ordered my copy (when I get it, I'll port it to a form of Javascript that a Linux friendly browser can understand!)

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Well, I just tried again and my machine is still gagging on it. I'm wondering if it's the pop up blocker I have bundled with my XP. I've tried every which way to disable it and get it to allow me to use that site but I just can't seem to get past it no matter what I try.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
A review of Titanic: Monument and Warning is now posted by Michael Tennaro at ---

http://www.titanicbooksite.com/gittins_dave.html

Readers should note that the "very novel solution" mentioned by Michael is a very minor part. It's in a chapter called Legends, Myths and Ratbaggery. Whether it's wisdom or ratbaggery is left to the reader. Personally, I was surprised at how much evidence I found to support it.

The PayPal system is working. According to my computing guru, early problems were probably caused by the sheer size of PayPal's system, which was not updated simultaneously throughout the world.

Mar 18, 2000
Dave's web-site seems to work just fine now - Dave, you should have my order.

For those of us in the US - the $40 Australian works out to be around $30 American.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
From a recent e-mail, it appears that not all potential purchasers understand PayPal.

PayPal debits the buyer's credit card in the local currency. PayPal then pays me in Australian dollars, less a fee it charges me.

The price is currently about $29-50 USD, 17 UK pounds, or 25 euros.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
For those of us who use non-Microsoft browsers, making the following changes to the HTML/Javascript will make the popups work:

The change you have to make is in the javascript at the start of file. Change

var version4 = (navigator.appVersion.charAt(0) == "4")
for
var version4 = (navigator.appVersion.charAt(0) >= "5")

or indeed, the following should work:
var version4 = (navigator.appVersion.charAt(0) >= "4")

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
This is something for the second edition, if any. It's possible to make the changes Paul suggests if you copy the CD to your hard drive and change the JavaScript in about 20 files. Having done that, you can use Netscape Navigator or Firefox, though one or two of the popups don't quite work properly with Firefox. The last of Paul's suggestions works best.

In my experience, users of Linux, Firefox and other non-Microsoft software usually have Windows and IE on their machines. They also know enough to start IE and run the book from the CD if IE is not their default browser. The CD comes with instructions on how to use it in the intended way.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I've just discovered that PayPal is not working properly with Firefox 1.5.

Firefox users can perhaps still purchase my e-book by clicking on the words " Make payments with PayPal" at the bottom of the relevant page. It seems to be OK from then on but I can't be certain.

The problem is not with my site. For some reason, even the PayPal home page does not display properly with Firefox 1.5.

I suggest that it's safest to use Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I wonder what it is with some browsers that they choke on things like that? PayPal is just about everywhere and makes life so much easier when trying to get something on-line. Seems kind of silly to produce a browser that won't work with some of the most popular services on the 'net.

In any event, I got my copy of the CD a couple of days ago and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Dave again shows his talant for taking some very complicated matters as well as technical isues and explaining them in a nice down to earth fashion that just about anyone can understand. That's quite a rare gift.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I have changed my web site to give a better idea of the features of my e-book. It now includes screen shots of the e-book. The on-screen citations and references are demonstrated and the index is shown.

The spiel starts at--- http://users.senet.com.au/~gittins/Book.html

The screen shots are a bit slow to download. I might drop one or two if I get enough grizzles!

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I've recently found that some Titanic fans are reading the first part of my web site, about navigation, under the impression that it's the beginning of my e-book.

A good deal of my site, suitably updated, is included in the e-book, but it amounts to no more than 10% of the whole.

For details about the e-book, go to

http://users.senet.com.au/~gittins/Book.html

For a special price for ET forum users, go to

http://users.senet.com.au/~gittins/special.html