Dave Gittins' Book or rather CD-Rom on the British Inquiry

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I've just added some interesting material about the 'black squad' to the Corrections and Updates page.

Early purchasers may not have been given access to this page. If you want the URL, contact me.

I'll keep the cut price mentioned above. The Aussie dollar is up against many currencies.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
For those who have my e-book and access to the secret corrections page, have a look at clanger number 6. It's a real hoot! I must have been asleep to write something so dumb.

If you didn't spot it, shame on you!

For those who don't have the e-book, what's stopping you?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Dave, could you send me the link again? I lost it when my last computer bit the dust.

>>For those who don't have the e-book, what's stopping you?<<

At the risk of sounding like a shameless plugger, I have to wonder about that as well. If you want a work which gives a good overview of the event without a lot of romantic nonsense, this is something you've got to have.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Matthew, I did indeed get your e-mail. Since I sent your book, I've spotted a really funny mistake, which I've added to the clangers page. Check it out and enjoy my embarrassment.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Those who have my book should go to the secret Corrections and Updates page.

I have added a minor correction. Shame on those who missed the error!

Thanks to an e-mate, I have added new information about an obscure yet important figure at the British inquiry. It's a genuine exclusive. I've also mentioned a new and original book that is being prepared.

If you have a copy and haven't got access to the Corrections and Updates page, feel free to contact me. Early purchasers were not told of the page because it was a later innovation.

Those who don't have the book might like to take advantage of the falling Aussie dollar.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
The Australian dollar has fallen sharply in the last week or two, making my e-book much cheaper, especially in the USA.

Time to get out the plastic, folks!

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
For the first time in three years, the Aussie dollar is now down to about 75c US. Time to bash the plastic, folks!

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
The Aussie dollar has been as low as 65c US. It's varying so much that my site isn't keeping up with the changes. It's about 70c right now.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Those who have my e-book are invited to go to the Corrections and Updates page for new information about the source of a famous Titanic story. It's at #13 in the updates list.

You don't get that with a dead tree book!

Too bad about the Aussie dollar right now.

Mar 17, 2018
Whatever happened to this book? It seems to be unavailable right now. At least it is in my part of the world. I wish I had bought it back in 2012 when I first heard about it (after reading Gittins’ updated version of Michael Davie’s book “Titanic: The Death and Life of a Legend,”) now even the sites to order one are impossible to find.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I still have many copies but I've closed my site. The CD won't run properly on recent browsers. You can read the text on any browser but all the references and footnotes don't display properly.

I've sometimes wondered about preparing a book version, possible covering the aftermath of the disaster, which I think I cover well, but at my age I don't know if I'd bother. Anybody have any thoughts?

Nov 14, 2005
I still have many copies but I've closed my site. The CD won't run properly on recent browsers. You can read the text on any browser but all the references and footnotes don't display properly.

I've sometimes wondered about preparing a book version, possible covering the aftermath of the disaster, which I think I cover well, but at my age I don't know if I'd bother. Anybody have any thoughts?
Yes I clicked on your link and saw that it was closed. As for the book...time, effort and money to get it printed. Of course that would be up to you. But to throw in my 2 cents worth (today probably worth 1 cent) some good things about books is...no batteries or recharging and not dependant on outdated operating systems/programs. I haven't seen it but am sure it is a fine work on Titanic from what others have said.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
Dave, if you can print the book off as a pdf file then you can get it published as a paperback book. As the author, you also have full control of it. That's the way I did two of my books, Collision in the Solent, coauthored with Mark Chirnside, and my latest Strangers on the Horizon. Each chapter was originally prepared in a word file and then put into a pdf file. Then combined all pdf files into one pdf to upload to the self-publishing house.

Mar 17, 2018
To Dave Gittins: your colleague Sam Halpern is right. If I were you, I’d get someone you’ve worked with before and trust (like Sam or one of your other co-authors from the Centennial Report) and have them help you to put all the information down from “Titanic: Monument and Warning”, get it in a computer file and get it to a publisher who will give it as wide a distribution (printed and electronic) as possible. There is still a huge market interest in this subject, even eight years after the 100th anniversary. Even if it has to be in multiple volumes, I won’t hesitate to buy a copy! I’ve heard your book gives an especially good account of the British Inquiry, and I have to say that this is not covered well enough by most Titanic authors, and would make your publication a must-have reference for future buffs.