David Blair 2nd Ofcr relieved before departure

Jan 5, 2001
Murdoch did not miss a voyage but he also did the 2 day trial. Wilde joint after the Maiden Voyage.
Wilde replaced Chief Officer Evans after Olympic's maiden voyage, yes.

However, I need to check further in that Murdoch doesn't appear to be listed on the 13 - 30 March 1912 sailing dept. crew list and all the officer positions are accounted for. If that is the case, then he missed the final Olympic voyage with Smith and Wilde.

Best wishes

Mark.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
However, I need to check further in that Murdoch doesn't appear to be listed on the 13 - 30 March 1912 sailing dept. crew list and all the officer positions are accounted for. If that is the case, then he missed the final Olympic voyage with Smith and Wilde.
Yes, his last voyage was 28. February - 08. March 1912. After it he left Olympic joining Titanic at Belfast.
I forgot to count the "last" voyage you mentioned above, so Murdoch had 1 voyage less on Olympic than Captain Smith but still more than Wilde as Wilde was not there during the 2 day trials and the delivery trip from Belfast to Southampton with a stop at Liverpool.
From what I see Murdoch arrived with the Adriatic at 25 May 1911 at Southampton (Captain Smith had already left the Adriatic and had been aboard Olympic in Belfast) so he had 3 days to make it in time for the Olympic sea trials on 29 May at Belfast.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2001
That all fits nicely Ioannis.

Of course, if I'd checked my dates first then I'd have realised Murdoch couldn't possibly have been on Olympic for that round voyage because he joined Titanic before Olympic docked.

Best wishes

Mark.

I was kidding, Robert. But have just realized what you are talking about and I was mistaken and read too fast (maybe the 43°C down here doesn't help! :-(

To answer your question, I have read few answers, but to my view, the three answers have some improbability, but at any rate I'll give it to you though :

1) Captain Smith would have had the intention to pass a northern route in order to arrive in NY a day earlier (but to my view, and according to "A Sea of Glass" which is became my "Titanic Bible", it's unlikely for that claim of the "blue Ribbon" is a myth and Captain Smith have never had such intention)

2) Wilder's wife and Smith's wife were close friends and the young Mrs Smith would have insisted upon his husband for having Wilde with him (However we could ask the question "what's the point ??" and to ask it is to answer it, I think...)

3) It would have been Captain Bartlett that fell that Smith was getting old and he should not have enough confidence upon him to let him go with the White Star's new "Cadillac" so he would have ask Wilde to supervise him. (Nevertheless, Murdoch could have play that part very well so what's the point to get Wilde for that ??...)

(Cf: Chief Officer Wilde | William Murdoch

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
Just a thought that popped in me head while reading this... could it be that WIlde was to get command of Olympic, and Haddock Titanic (or visa-versa), upon Smith's retirement, hence Wilde's appearance on Titanic? IDK... thinking out loud!

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
No, Brad, that's not how things worked. No matter what an officer's prior experience was, a first command was either on a "lesser" ship (e.g., a freighter) or a service other than the North Atlantic (e.g., Australia); a first command on a top-level ship would have been unprecedented. In all likelihood, Haddock was going to command Titanic and Harry Smith or Bertram Hayes, Olympic.

Reactions: B-rad

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
I know there's a great deal of speculation about Smith's future plans post Titanic. Does anyone think he'd have been tempted to take the last of the Olympic's off the wall before calling it a much deserved day?

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
I, for one, do not. He was already two years past mandatory retirement in 1912 and the arrival of the third Olympic was still a few years off. He would certainly have retired before that ship came into service.