David Blair Key sells at auction

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
"I hope he was buying just the key itself!"

I concur. I have grave doubts about the key tag.

Compare it with the undoubtably genuine key tags on page 195 of Titanic Voices. They are far cruder objects, as I'd expect of tags that would have been made by the hundred for the ship.

I suppose Blair could have had a tag made for his souvenir, but I wonder!

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi,

That is interesting. The Woody keys sold for the same amount - £90,000 - also to an anonymous or private collector. I recall it was said to be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Best,
Eric

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Unlike in the United Kingdom, researchers and writers like myself are protected under the Bill of Rights.) <<

Point of order, this is a website and forum operated out of the United Kingdom, under it's laws, as well as any legally binding international agreements the U.K. is a party to. I've already put the question to my colleagues as to what action if any is appropriate for this thread, but in the meantime, let's hold off on any further discussion until a decision is made.

If the thread is allowed to continue, please tread lightly.

Mar 28, 2002
It would be a pity if this thread were closed as people should be free to read this kind of thing and make an informed decision about whether or not to believe. As far as I can see, nobody is saying "this is what is, what went before is wrong, sue me". Tim is simply stating the known facts and leaving it up to the reader to draw their own conclusion.

Personally, I would not have paid the £78,000 (the figure that was actually bid before the premiums and VAT are added) unless I had moving footage of the key being taken off the Titanic by David Blair, waving it at the camera and saying "this is the real thing."

Anyway, I was at the auction and so I saw all the action, although not as much action as Alan Aldridge had warned us to expect, in the way of "big blokes with shotguns". When it finally came to the bidding on the key, it was like being a spectator at a tennis match, with heads turning between two telephone bidders at opposite ends of the room. And then the Titanic launch ticket selling for £27,000. Madness.

Cheers,

Boz

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Tim is simply stating the known facts and leaving it up to the reader to draw their own conclusion.<<

And personally, I have no issues with that. Unfortunately, we live in an era where it's possible for people with very deep pockets to threaten those who don't have very deep pockets with lawsuits as an intimidation tactic.

It may not be fair or even right, but that's how it's done. As I indicated, tread lightly.

T

Timothy Trower

"Chinese buys key that killed 1,522 on Titanic"

The "Shanghai Daily" on September 24, 2007 ran an article about the new owner of the David Blair key.

You just have to read the article to attempt to believe the tale that apparently sold with this key ...

http://tinyurl.com/yr4m9z

T

Timothy Trower

Julie,

I'm sorry that I didn't see your message earlier. The key and tag are sitting on a post card written by David Blair to his sister in law, dated April 4, 1912. The card shows an image of the Olympic titled as the Titanic passing the Statue of Liberty, and was lot 380 in the September 22, 2007 Henry Aldridge auction.

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
The "Shanghai Daily" on September 24, 2007 ran an article about the new owner of the David Blair key.

You just have to read the article to attempt to believe the tale that apparently sold with this key ...

That article is worth reading just to see the reference to Titanic's "virgin voyage".

--Jim