David Bright dies after dive to Andrea Doria wreck

T

Timothy Trower

Just read on Yahoo that David Bright died today after a dive on the Andrea Doria. He surfaced from a dive and suffered from decompression sickness (the bends) dying from cardiac arrest. My prayers go out to his family, and to all who enjoyed his reports on the Doria on this forum.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060711/ap_on_re_us/obit_bright

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted as a new thread in the Andrea Doria subtopic, has been moved to this separate one addressing Mr. Bright's death. MAB]

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
How deeply sad.

Reading the obituary in the Globe, it seems that his wife Elaine fully understood what drew him to explore shipwrecks and to deep technical dives. As she says:
quote:

It's very traumatizing to his entire family but we know that he's happy. It's a very sad thing, but water, scuba diving was what he wanted to do.

rob scott

May 4, 2004
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2176551
Reading ABCnews online, and saw this on the right bar as a new story, clicked and read with dread and sadness; some mod pls tell me something is errant with this story;
If not, he was helpful with news and enthusiasm on this folder and all us Doria watchers
sad.gif

'Researcher ... David Bright ... after surfacing from latest Andria Doria dive ... ' > because of the sourcing I don't distrust it, but mods feel free to amend if there is something errant with this report .... 'copy ... over ...'

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted as a new thread in the Andrea Doria subtopic, has been moved to this separate one addressing Mr. Bright's death. MAB]

L

Linda Sherlock

I read all Mr. Bright's posts on the Andrea Doria with great interest and his passion for his subject came through clearly in them. I am deeply saddened to hear of his death and my heart goes out to his family.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>some mod pls tell me something is errant with this story;<<

Sorry, we can't. This is for real. And I was thinking about how the last thing I posted to this man was as an admonishment to stay safe. David had a lot of experience with just this sort of tech diving and I have to wonder what it was that went wrong.

J

João Carlos Pereira Martins

Very, very sad! I think I haven't posted yet with him, but I hope his family accept my sincere condolences.

João

Apr 27, 2005
I had spoken to David Bright about his work on the "Doria" just prior to his departure. His intention was to produce a thorough analysis of the wreck's collapse and condition. I am very sorry to learn that the wreck has claimed yet another diver in it's 50th year.

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted to an existing thread in the Andrea Doria subtopic, has been moved to this separate one addressing Mr. Bright's death. MAB]

Jul 11, 2006
Hi, my name is Marilyn Hetsel I am the Simulation Services Manager at the US Merchant Marine Academy. I would like to share some of my experiences with David Bright. I met David several years ago through Capt. Robert J. Meurn now professor emeritus of the US Merchant Marine Academy. I recently rebuilt our Andrea Doria simulation model thanks to David's video of the actual builder’s model for the upcoming Andrea Doria 50th survivor’s reunion. David was so pleased with the detail and realism of the new model and I was very happy and honored to do the work.

David first and foremost was a gentleman, a very kind and intelligent person. He had a lot a passion about everything he did and talked about especially the Andrea Doria. He was the kind of person people just enjoyed being around. His caring and dedication to the survivors and his work with Capt Meurn to get the truth out there about the collision was just a few examples of the kind of wonderful person he was. David will be greatly missed by all who knew him. I would like to extend my condolences to his family and friends for such a tremendous loss.

J

João Carlos Pereira Martins

Hello Marilyn!

I'm sorry that your first post has to be about this tragic event.

Regards, João

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Oh my god! The wreck claims another victim. Just as Mike did, I also wished him a safe trip and looked forward to his report, and also on the Empress of Ireland.

Very sad and tragic news.
sad.gif
My condolences to his family.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Marilyn, I wish your debut with us had been under happier circumstances. I didn't really "know" David very well beyond the scope of the notes I exchanged with him. Still, his passion for his work and his enthusiasm for sharing is a quality which stood out during the brief time we were priviledged to have him here with us.

I hope that those who succeed him will have a similar passion. They'll have quite the challange in filling his shoes.

Nov 29, 2005
I knew David as a fellow Titanic diver, and we communicated often this past spring. This is very sad news indeed. My thoughts and deepest sympathy go out to his family.

David Concannon

Mar 17, 2010
London
Gosh - that's really sad
sad.gif

I hope that his family accepts my sincerest condolences. This reminds of a time almost two years ago when one of my friends committed suicide and I know how sad it was for me, her other friends and her family. Although I didn't know David, I'll still pray for him...

Carla

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
I haven't seen this posted anywhere else so I will put it here.

David Bright a veteran diver died of decompression sickness after diving on the Doria. This occured this week. If anyboyd has more info I am sure we would all be interested.

K

Kyle Johnstone

The New York Times carried the story.
Here is a link:
http://tinyurl.com/r6hfk
Registration is necessary to access the story.

David Bright wrote the forward to the newly released book "Alive on the Andrea Doria" by passenger Pierette Domenica Simpson