David G. Brown

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
So I learned on Facebook that Historian David G. Brown has passed away. Michael Standart posted this:

"I have received news from
Bill Willard
that Captain David G. Brown, the author of “The Last Log of the Titanic” “ White Hurricane” and “Titanic Myths, Titanic Truths” has passed away. I’ve met the man on several occasions at the various conferences and gatherings held in Toledo and Topeka.
His ideas and theories were at times controversial. He was never afraid to walk a bit on the wild side, but he also had an incredible talent for explaining the technical aspects of ship handling and seamanship in a way that anybody could understand.
Rest In Peace Captain Brown. You will be missed."

I didn't know Mr. Brown, but from what I've seen, he's a very smart individual, and certainly knew what he was talking about when he wrote. Besides from some of his books, he also helped Parks Stephenson write the Grounding Theory. Rest in peace Sir

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

Encyclopedia Titanica

Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
david-g-brown.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Nov 14, 2005
Yes RIP Mr. Brown. He wrote a lot of good an interesting things about Titanic. A valued contributor to the subject.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
It was Parks who set us straight when a lot of us were laughing at the grounding theory, but the laughing came to a stop for the most part when we saw that it explained a lot.

Could it be superceeded and/or falsified?

Yes.

That's the nature of how science works. Bad information gets displaced by good information and incomplete gets replaced by complete or even better depending on where the evidence leads.

The grounding theory isn't even wildly new. You can see an expression of it in a period drawing which shows the ship running over a submerged ice shelf or ram.

Reactions: 2 users

Tim Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
RIP Mr. Brown. His only book I read is the Last Log but I very much enjoyed it. Cam, since you mentioned that book, I think you will like it too.

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
What a shame. Mr Brown was still making the occasional post here on ET as late as 2019.

He was certainly very knowledgeable about the technical side of things and argued strongly against conspiracy theories such as the Olympic switch and that nonsense about the coal bunker fire.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.
So very sorry to hear of David's passing.

David was responsible for me joining this site.

I am a member of "Ship's Nostalgia" as he was. Many years ago, I was in contact with an old shipmate, and we were discussing passing over a ridge between two enormous begs in the Belle Isle Strait. David saw this and contact me about his grounding theory. It's all history from there-on.

Smooth seas, clear skys and a safe passage my old friend.:(

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
I'm afraid I had made some derogatory remarks about his book Titanic Myths, Titanic Truths but he appeared to bear no grudge and even thanked me for buying it! RIP.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I posted this to the memorial section on his obituary:

"I was deeply saddened to hear of Cap'n Dave's passing. I remembered first hearing about him when "The Last Log of the Titanic" was about to be published. I was skeptical at first, but I took the advice about keeping an open mind and bought the book.

Some of what's in there is a bit dated in the light of some new discoveries, but the fundemental theory in my opinion, has held up very well. David was never afraid to take a walk on the wild side when it came to some of his ideas, and even when some could be said to border on the outlandish, it was always within the context of the evidence. Agree with him or not, he made you think, which I suspect was his intent all along.
I had the pleasure of meeting him at several RMS Titanic gatherings he hosted in Toledo, Topeka and Vermillion along with Captain Erik Wood as well as at Maine Maritime Academy.

I particularly liked his down to earth manner in the way he explained his ideas as well as his remarkable talent for explaining principles of seamanship and ship handling in a way that anybody could understand. He also introduced us to Tony Packo's during the Toledo gatherings, and it's monster hot dogs and the then Willis B. Boyer museum ship where we took part in a demonstration of how to work the Welin style davits which were in use on the RMS Titanic.

Sadly, some of us fell out of touch over the years which I have come to regret. To his family, and in particular Carol, please accept my sincerest condolences on your loss. To Cap'n Dave, until we meet again in the Great Beyond, Fair winds and following seas, shipmate!"

Reactions: 4 users

Tim Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
The only time I saw his face and heard his voice was on a History Channel or Discovery Channel thing, within the past year, that claimed to have "new evidence" about the mystery ship the Titanic saw while sinking. If I remember right, he didn't actually state an opinion as to what ship he thought it was, he was talking about things like handling a ship in those conditions and a captain's responsibilities to his own ship's safety vs assisting others, I don't fully remember. (I'm NOT trying to start a discussion about the mystery ship, there are plenty of other threads for that). At the time I thought it was cool to actually see the actual person behind so many forum posts on this website and the author of "The Last Log of the Titanic" which I've been thinking for a few weeks about reading again.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
He was a pretty cool guy.

The office place in Toledo remembered us from the first gathering when we all showed up en masse to make copies of the various documents a few had brought to the next gathering. Affidavits, working drawings, even the so-called "Thomas Andrews Notebook" which was actually a yard document which had changes in the Titanic annotated to it.

Like any good historians, that's what we did: Share information!

Those office places we hit made a nice pile of change off of us!