Davies Garner Modeller's Guide update

Nov 12, 2000
Peter Davies-Garner's book, RMS Titanic, A Modeler’s Guide was originally due out this summer. Just recently I received a notification from Amazon.com (the U.S. version) that my pre-order for this book has been cancelled. Not postponed or delayed, but cancelled!

More ominously, a search on Amazon's US and UK sites does not pull up the book at all anymore. Anyone have any current news about whether this book is going to be published?

Thanks!
Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Apr 21, 2003
Thank you for your interest in my book Michael. The release date is now October 7th. The problem with Amazon is that they are only allowed to hold on to credit card details for a limited time span, i.e. six months. Orders that were made more than six months ago have to be cancelled. I just tried to pull up the book on Amazon.com (I just put in my name and did a search) and had no problems at all. The book will still be available through Amazon.

Peter

Nov 12, 2000
Thanks for the update, Peter. I have never had Amazon delete an order for a book that has been delayed. Usually they e-mail me a form stating the book will be published later than they expected, and they give me the option to accept or reject a continuation of my pre-order.

As for your book coming up on Amazon, I finally did get it to do so, but it took several search attempts. I usually try author's last name and title - that didn't work. Even tried the isbn number and it wouldn't pull up that way either. I finally caught it by using just the title. Very weird!

Thanks again,
Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Well, at least the publication is still on, so that's a good thing. I've seen a number of books advertised as available for pre-order only to see "Out Of Print, No Longer available" literally a week later. I recall something like this happened with Leo Merriot's "Ocean Liners."

Apr 21, 2003
I can assure you that this one IS still on. I received a proof copy last Thursday, and after correcting a few mistakes (upside-down plans etc.) I returned it to Chatham for editing. It'll be off to China for printing soon. Looking at the sales rates at Amazon I can tell that orders are still coming in. Today the sales rate is some 7800! Last week it was only at 502000. This is what I call movement! But I don't know how reliable the Amazon sales rate is. Tomorrow morning things might look very different again.

Peter

Apr 21, 2003
Oh, BTW.
The model has made it safely to Orlando, Florida undamaged! So anyone in or around Orlando might want to visit the Shipofdreams museum (Titanicshipofdreams.com) where they have a new 18 foot model of the Titanic (the one that I built) on display.

Regards
Peter

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
Just got my copy in the mail yesterday. A quite comprehensive and fascinating read, enhanced with seldom-seen pictures of Titanic. The book has renewed my interest in assembling my long-neglected 1/350 Titanic model. Kudos to Peter for both his awesome model, as well as this literary offering!