de Kerbrech's Ships of the White Star Line

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Richard de Kerbrech has authored or co-authored a number of excellent liner-related books, at least three of which (Damned by Destiny, Cunard White Star Liners of the 1930's and Last Liners of the White Star Line) are wholly or partially White Star oriented. He has now evidently written a book called Ships of the White Star Line, scheduled for publication in the spring. Based on the overall quality of his prior work, I expect that this will be a very important addition to any serious collection of White Star material.

Details can be found here.

It's also listed on Amazon.

Aug 8, 2007
Canada
I just received a notice from Amazon saying that the release of this book has been cancelled. I was looking forward to receiving the book, and am quite disappointed at this development, considering the calibre of this author's past works. Hopefully this book will eventually appear in some form.

Russell

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
I on the other hand received an email overnight from Amazon to the effect that the book has been delayed, not canceled, and that the estimated delivery window is now 14-22 April.

Wait and see.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>It's Amazon...what more needs to be said?<<

Point taken!
wink.gif

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
And now amazon.co.uk (yes, I ordered it from both amazon sites, based on past experience) advises:
quote:

Richard De Kerbrech "Ships of the White Star Line" [Hardcover]
Estimated arrival date: 22/04/09 - 06/05/09

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
From amazon.co.uk:
quote:

We are sorry to report that the following items have been delayed:

Richard De Kerbrech "Ships of the White Star Line" [Hardcover]
Estimated arrival date: 08/05/09 - 27/05/09

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
I received this book today and have only had half an hour or so to skim through it so far, but based on that I'm already prepared to say that Mr. de Kerbrech has met the high hopes I expressed in the first message in this thread. This is a comprehensive review of all of White Star's ships from Oceanic I to Georgic II, with photos (all in B+W) of virtually all of them. It's broken into eight chapters, each of them beginning with a recitation of the line's history for a period of time; taken together these eight introductory sections provide a nice history of White Star from beginning to end.

This is a "must have" for anyone whose interest in White Star goes beyond a single ship that lies at the bottom of the Atlantic. Five stars!

Apr 30, 2009
G'day Mab.Thank you for processing my registration.You're lucky your patience has been rewarded I have't seen the proper book yet myself.Thank you for your kind words in your 'skimmed' review, I hope it lives up to your expectations.I do not claim to be an expert and I expect errors & omissions will manifest themselves in due course.Until then,enjoy! Cheers.Richard de K.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hello, Richard---

Thank you for your kind words in your 'skimmed' review

Quite welcome, but the kind words are well-deserved. The book's terrific.

I expect errors & omissions will manifest themselves

I've compiled some notes on White Star's ships myself, mostly based on articles from The Times and The New York Times. After I've finished reading the book for pleasure, I'm going to go through it and compare it to what I have. If your information and mine don't match up, I'll be in touch.

Apr 30, 2009
Iam trying to contact Richard Edwards but seem unable to contact him on the forum site,as it bounces back.If he sees this notice he can contact me off the site on my email address.I've answered his query but I can't mail him,probably my inability to communicate through modern technology.Thank you.

Jan 5, 2001
Richard,

Yours is a well-presented, attractive book and it is extremely comprehensive in its scope. I bought my copy last month and I am glad I did so. I thought it was challenging to write a book about one ship, or even three sisters; to write one about so many ships is a commendable achievement. I would gladly recommend it to others.

There are a couple of points I would take issue with, however I'd be glad to go through them with you in due course if you so wished.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Apr 30, 2009
Michael Standart
As Moderator of E-C and T-T could you do me a big favour and let Iwan from the T-T site that I would like to contact him, preferably not via the notice board. I will forward my email address should he wish to follow up the contact.All very clandestine and mysterious but all above board.
Cheers.
Richard

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Richard, I'm not up on all the users over there but if this man is a member, you should be able to contact him yourself through the Private Message function.

BTW, I got a copy of your book for Christmas. I've only had chance to browse through it, but it's a impressive looking work.