Dead ahead or Right Ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen

Jan 21, 1998
When the lookouts Frederick Fleet & Reginald Lee spotted the iceberg Did they say Iceberg dead ahead or Iceberg right ahead? I've heard different versions in the movies , and I wanted to know If anyone knew what the lookouts really said .Thanks Karen

Martin Pirrie

Jun 28, 2000
The Report on the Loss of the "Titanic" (ss), the London report dated 30th July 1912, states that ...at 11.40 one of the look outs struck three blows on the gong, which was the accepted warning for something ahead, following this immediately afterwards by a telephone message to the bridge "Iceberg right ahead"...

I think that "Dead Ahead" is a more modern expression.

D

Dan Cherry (209.130.145.72 - 209.130.145.72)

At the US Inquiry, Fleet said he reported an "iceberg right ahead".

Dan

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
As a Captain of a passenger ship the term "right ahead" is more of a british term. If Fredrick Fleet had been an American it would have been dead ahead. Just as Murdoch ordered hard to starboard but the ship turned left. Starboard is normaly used for the ship board term for right. That has to do with the days of sail that hadn't quite been corrected in Steam. Hichens did what he was told by turning the wheel to the right but the ship moved to the left following the order. It used to be before the modern pully system the when you turnd the wheel one way it went in the oppisite.

Status
Not open for further replies.