Deadlier Than the Titanic: A Ferry Set Out With About 1900 Aboard. Only 64 Survived.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Up on the deck, dozens of university students played cards. In the first-class cabins below, passengers watched the movie “Air Force One.” In an overcrowded third-class compartment, a teenage soccer team on its way to a tournament belted out songs.

All were aboard a ferry named the Joola when it set out 20 years ago on a 17-hour journey from a city in southern Senegal, along the west coast of Africa, headed for the capital, Dakar.

Reactions: Seumas
Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

The Dona Paz has them all beat. Possibly even the Wilhelm Gustloff. One of the problems with ferries is that accurate passenger lists are almost unheard of even if one is put together.

Reactions: Steven Christian, Seumas and Jason D. Tiller
Steven Christian

Steven Christian

I remember when that happened. At the time some were reporting 5000+. There's been more than their fair share of ferry disasters in that part of the world.

Last edited:
Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

It may have been way more than 5000+ but when nobody is bothering to keep good records, how do you know?
Only good old Davy Jones with his notorious locker knows, and he ain't talkin!

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

It may have been way more than 5000+ but when nobody is bothering to keep good records, how do you know?
Only good old Davy Jones with his notorious locker knows, and he ain't talkin!
Yes your probably right about that. I said 5000+. But I also remember some saying even higher. Rules and regulations in that part of the world were often treated as suggestions. Either way a tradgedy.
P.S...I met Davy Jones...right after I had to kiss the Royal Baby's belly....:eek:

Reactions: Michael H. Standart
Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member

Senegal: The only woman to survive the Joola disaster​

Mariama Diouf is the only woman survivor of the Joola tragedy.

She was onboard the government-owned ferry travelling from South Senegal to the capital Dakar, when it capsized in 2002.

Watch the full documentary The Joola: Africa's Titanic HERE

Reactions: Seumas