Aug 29, 2000
This is to inform members here at the ET message board of the death of Jon Hollis at Jordan Hospital in Plymouth, Massachusetts. Jon had at one time been a frequent poster to ET, and well-known in Titanic circles for many years. After a long illness with lung cancer, Jon passed away yesterday from heart failure. Many will recall his slide presentations aboard various ocean liners including QE2 and lectures for several liner societies. No plans for the funeral and burial are final at this time. The family plot is located in Abington, Massachusetts and it is thought this may be his final resting place.

Jan 7, 2002
Sad news to report- Jon Hollis has passed away- Jon was a lifelong Titanic buff, and for years gave a stellar Titanic slideshow on the QE2.....
His knowledge of the Titanic was extensive, and his fascination contagious...
He definatly had contacts in just about every ocean liner circle,which amazed me, as he seemed to know everyone- and was a very interesting person to know-
I met Jon and struck up a friendship in the early 1990s, although I havent talked to him in many many months..
I last visited his condo about a year ago- He had an amazing model and Titanic collection, and many rare and unpublished pictures chronicling the great liners..On one visit he showed me an amazing program he created on the construction of thje QM2 as well as Normandie
.Jon knew many people in the Titanic world- and well, I know he burned many bridges,so his friends rose and ebbed with the tide, but his interest in Titanic was unshakable.
Jon had 1 lung removed due to lung cancer, and a remainder of the second lung as well- and cancer attacked that- He was a fellow ET member, and despite the inner politics of the Titanic world, his passion for all things Titanic was genuine....
Jon Hollis RIP...
Ill post more info shortly

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted as a separate thread under a different topic, has been moved to this pre-existing thread. MAB]

Apr 27, 2003
Rest in Peace Jon.
It was Jon Hollis and I who found the first Titanic related graves in The Old Cemetery on Southampton Common way back in the very early 1980's - leading to the eventual discovery of over 50 memorials.
A true friend who will be missed.
We will remember the laughs we had.
Brian and Janet Ticehurst.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I knew Jon on-and-off for many years, and I now regret not maintaining more regular contact with him. I always found him helpful and friendly, and he provided valuable information for the theory that the Titanic was found by the Royal Navy in the 1970s. I will miss him.

Paul

Jul 12, 2005
Jon and I corresponded via email and he was hoping a new technique might save his life from his lung cancer. When it got time to do the procedure, the doctors and Jon decided against it because they had never done it on a patient in his condition. He will be missed! Robert H. Gibbons

Jan 7, 2002
I don't even know if Jon had/will have a funeral- Kenny Olson and two other friends of Jon's were handling his effects- so I assume they will handle the burial and funeral- but to date I haven't heard from anyone about a funeral..

Jon was always very nice to me, and always asked about the health of my mother, as like Jon, she was battling cancer.....
Jon made-and lost many friendships in the Titanic community. As many of us know, the Titanic community can be quite the minefield... I'd hate to think in the end there was noone there to mourn-he had no surviving family members, no partner/spouce , and no kids-and in the end, his friends were few- But he was always nice to me, and I wish his spirit peace and happiness, wherever his spirit may be...

Aug 29, 2000
I have been looking high and low for his obituary. If anyone can give the link to it in the local papers, I would appreciate having it.

T

Timothy Trower

John W. Hollis
HOLLIS John W., of Pembroke, formerly of Whitman, Aug. 18, age 71, son of the late Erwin and Gertrude (Hill) Hollis; very good friend of John Ferrante of Plymouth, Paul Pelrine of Wrentham, Kenny Olson of South Weymouth and Joan Hindmarsh of Halifax. His funeral will be held Wednesday, Aug. 22, at 11 a.m. in the Blanchard Funeral Chapel, Plymouth Street (Rt. 58 at the Rotary Circle), Whitman. Burial will follow in the Colebrook Cemetery, Whitman. Visiting hours Wednesday, Aug. 22, from 9-11 a.m. www.blanchardfc.com.

Published in The Enterprise on 8/21/2007.

Jun 11, 2000
Well, RIP Jon Hollis. Or at any rate, it's all over now.

Despite the possibly self-induced reason he died ... many of us will end up the the same, and often via now-lauded activities like jogging, vegetarianism, and sport. So I say - it just happens, and we just have to say goodbye without judgement.

Aug 29, 2000
Thanks for the information Tim. Jon was a productive and involved member of the ship community and made many positive contributions over the decades. I believe his severely declining health in recent years and medications took a heavy toll. I would like to remember him in happier times, especially at the 100th birthday party for Marjorie Newell Robb in Westport Point.

Jan 7, 2002
Thanks for posting the information..
As I'm a slave to public transportation (who needs a car in Boston) , im not sure I can make it to the funeral, as I have no way to get there..Ill make an attempt, and see if the train travels to the town that is holding the wake and funeral....

T

Timothy Trower

Tarn,

Public transportation and a time machine will get you there -- the funeral was held on the 22nd.

Colin Parker

Jan 18, 2008
When Jon told us his life threatening problem we did some research here in UK and told him about this technique used in Europe but not often in the States. He was really excited about it and found two centres which did the procedure. It is a shame that it was decided not to do this on him. Jon and I go back to 1988 working together with his presentations on QE2 when I was Cruise Director there until 2002 and we did many TV interviews on Titanic. We always kept in touch but had not spoken until since early last summer. It was only this morning when my e-mail to him bounced back that I suspected the worst. A great presenter, superb lectures, fanatical and always a great friend and very caring about our family here in the UK.
We'll miss you Jon.