Death of Lillian Asplund 19062006

Apr 11, 2001
Eric, I do not recall seeing anything on the family headstone other than the surname on the front, a photograph of which is here on ET. I will make a point to look tomorrow.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Is anyone planning on attending Miss Asplund's funeral service, and will she be buried next to her mother or brother, or near to them?
Just curious.

Teri Lynn Milch

Apr 7, 2001
I do not see this as something disheartening.

Her family should be proud that the world loves her and wants to show that by being at her side in time of sorrow. Fame as we know always comes with a price, but the happy side to that is the wealth of support one can get. The world without support can get awfully gloomy.

Aidan Bowe

Aug 11, 2004
I can't believe Teri Lynn Milch remark "Fame as we know always comes with a price" I hardly think Lillian's family set out to seek fame in 1912! [Snip] I totally agree with Dave that her funeral doesn't descend into some sort of circus show.Let those who actually knew her attend the service and not turn it into some sort of day out for others!

Aidan Bowe

Aug 11, 2004
why should i be barred Teri? Just voicing an opinion..Hardly flaming you but your remark has come across as pretty crass...Would you say victims/survivors from other disasters intentionally sought fame?

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Ms. Milch and Mr. Bowe---

Please keep it civil and on point, the point being the one raised by Dave Gittins in his message.

Even when used to describe a thought, not a person, terms like "dumb" and "stupid" should be avoided in order to eliminate the potential for getting onto a sidetrack like the one this thread took.

Nov 1, 2005
Hi. I just read this thread, and I have to agree with Teri that Mr. Bowe WAS flaming her and should be removed. One can disagree with someone without being so nasty and personal. The adjectives "dumb, crass, and stupid" are extremely personal, subjective, unnecesary, and cruel. We all have very strong opinions about
TITANIC, but it would be nice if we could be ladies and gentlemen about it. The language used above does nothing to advance knowledge...all it does is to make people justifiably upset. We all have very strong opinions about
TITANIC, but it would be nice if we were ladies and gentlemen about it. The language used above does nothing to advance knowledge...all it does is to make people justifiably upset.

Teri's post was, in its own way a tribute to Ms. Asplund...true, the family may not want anyone outside at the funeral. Teri in no way suggested that Ms Asplund sought in 1912 or after. She was just saying that because of her survivor status, fame is concomitant to the life and death of Ms. Asplund.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
The language used above does nothing to advance knowledge

Which is why I said it should be avoided.

Let's return to the subject matter of this thread, shall we?

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Quote from the article: boston.com article:
quote:

One Titanic buff from South Carolina wanted to know when the services are so he could fly up here," Mangsen said.
My first thought: Is it Phil Gowan the person is mentioning?
The only others I can recall, from South Carolina would be Michael Standardt and Traci Smith.

Anyway, I hope Miss Asplund's service will be quiet and dignified; her friends and relatives deserve that.
I remember reading about how the funeral mass for Christa MacAuliffe was spoiled by the various reporters and news cameramen trying to get to ideal places to take pictures.

Again, if anyone from here attends the funeral service for Miss Asplund, I hope they find it to be private, peaceful, and dignified.

If Miss Asplund is buried next to her mother and/or brother, there will be many opportunities to take pictures of the gravesite, and to leave flowers there, as well.​

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>My first thought: Is it Phil Gowan the person is mentioning?
The only others I can recall, from South Carolina would be Michael Standardt and Traci Smith. <<

I saw the message that Phil posted on T-T indicating his intention to stay away from the funeral. I can't speak for Tracy but for myself, I never even called much less planned to attend as

a) I couldn't have even if I had wanted to and
b) I certainly didn't have the disposable income available for such a trip, and
c) I wasn't invited, nor was there any reason for me to be, and that by itself is the showstopper if nothing else is.

Regardless of whether we think that fame has a price, for Miss Asplund, it helps to know that the cost of that fame was in the tragic and horrifying deaths of three of her family, and that it was as expensive for her personally as it was unwanted.

We need to be mindful of the fact that the survivors of the Titanic are not public property, and our interest in them doesn't make them such. They're people who have the same right to be treated with dignity and with due repect for their privacy as any one of us would demand for ourselves.

Apr 11, 2001
I attended the funeral services today, and yes, it was a dignified and beautiful service both at the chapel and the grave site, despite the rain. I am taking time tonight to put together an account, rather than a hurried posting. Sixty-two were in attendance, and all was orderly and very moving. Press was kept outside, and with one or two exceptions, the media behaved for the most part.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Thanks for the information.

Michael, I felt the same way you did. It would not be possible for me to get to the funeral, nor did I have a reason to attend, since I never spoke to, nor ever met, Miss Asplund. I like to think that she did live a good life (not concentrating on the Titanic), and that she is at peace, after a long life.

Looking back on things, I decided not to save the New York Times and Los Angeles Times articles about Miss Asplund's death, as she was not one I ever knew.

I also saw the other site, where Phil noted his decision not to attend the service.

Shelley, I am glad to read that "Press was kept outside, and with one or two exceptions, the media behaved for the most part".
I will look forward to reading your account of the services.
I hope Miss Asplund was buried next to her mother and/or brother, and that a beautiful gravestone/marker was made for her (without references to the Titanic, of course).

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I have a feeling I know who the person from SC was. If I'm correct, then it is someone for whom I have a very high regard, and who I do not believe would ever be intrusive or disrespectful with survivors or the families of those who sailed.

I'm glad to hear that the funeral was conducted without the circus-like atmosphere that some anticipated, Shelley. As was noted on another board by one very prominent researcher, whatever schisms there are in the Titanic community, most serious researchers know how to conduct themselves with dignity at a solemn event such as this.

Apr 11, 2001
John, Miss Asplund was buried with her family. and to confirm a question asked earlier in the week, only the surname Asplund is carved into the front and back center of the headstone. Samantha,regarding your observation, today I checked on the city address posted on the photograph of the first Asplund home, which is 6 Rodney Street (corner of Rodney and Rt 9), and you were quite right, it is not in Shrewsbury, but in Worcester- the Shrewsbury city line was about a mile further east. I will correct this on the profile images.
I believe all were much relieved that the rumor of a media-circus did not come to fruition, most especially the director of the chapel, with whom I had opportunity to speak after the grave side ceremony, and I believe much is owed to his foresight and firmness in carrying out what would have certainly been the desires of Miss Lillian herself and those of the cousins, family, neighbors and friends.

Jul 14, 2002
Hello All,

I just watched a short video from NECN (New England Cable News) concerning the funeral services of Lillian. In the short video, it shows a picture of Lillian in a hospital bed, looking very advanced in her age, surrounded by two women. I am not sure who took this picture or who gave the picture to NECN. In the picture Lillian (at least I assumed it was, though one cannot be sure) was smiling and looked pleasent.

Any comments or reflections? I can only imagine how upset Lillian would be to have this photo shown to countless people...and I am feel bad having seen it.

Best,
Eric

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Any comments or reflections? I can only imagine how upset Lillian would be to have this photo shown to countless people...<<

I think somebody had some *very* bad taste in getting that photo to the newsies unless it was authorized by Miss Asplund herself ahead of time or her lawful heirs, agents and assigns. Personally, I doubt Miss Asplund would have done so. (I could be wrong.) She wanted no part of the fame that came with being on a ship that sank, and killed a significant portion of her family. But then the media isn't always renowned for the most ethical conduct in such affairs, nor are some of their sources.

Don't feel bad about having seen it. It's not as if you can control the editorial content of what a broadcaster shows to the world.