Death of Lillian Asplund 19062006

quote:

Any comments or reflections? I can only imagine how upset Lillian would be to have this photo shown to countless people...and I am feel bad having seen it
Eric, I have not seen that video image, nor do I wish to do so.
I wonder if Lillian Asplund would have preferred people to remember her from that photo image in the May 8th Worcester Telegram article?

My maternal grandmother spent her last years in a Connecticut nursing home, and was not in good shape (she died at age 82 in 1973). She was a very proud woman who would have liked people to have remembered her in her younger years (including some great pictures of her with my grandfather, my mom, and my aunt and uncle).

Just a thought: forget that video image (for anyone who saw it) and think of Lillian Asplund as she was, and as she probably would like to be remembered.​

>I wonder if Lillian Asplund would have preferred people to remember her from that photo image in the May 8th Worcester Telegram article?

From what I gather, and from her refusal to discuss the Titanic in public, I'd be willing to say "neither." My assumption is that Miss Asplund would have preferred to have been quietly remembered by friends, family, and the few researchers she 'took in,' and to have had her death marked by an obituary (perhaps bearing a favorite photo) and not by television crews.

Today sailing by Internet I saw two photos. 1 - Group of people back of graves with the last name “Asplund”. That photo is quite discreet.
2 - It is seen a young man in the cemetery next to a drawer that it gives to understand I articulate that to be Mrs. Asplund. That I do not like for anything me very badly of pleasure.

That disruptive young man in the yellow sweater was a visitor passing through from South America I believe. He saw the mention of the service in the newspaper. He spent most of the committal service taking photos of himself by the headstone and leaping around to get the best camera angles during the interment. There were a great many people there who would like to have sent him to another planet for a vacation. Unbelievable.

Hello Shelley
It is an excellent account of the day. As you said the only spoilers were the camera crew interviewing people in cars and of course, Titanic people with sinking Titanic lapel pins taking pictures of the coffin and seeking out reporters.
Mike

Shelley:
Thank you for such a lovely written piece. Miss Asplund's passing has been on my mind since I heard the news. The first lines of Whittier's stanza resonated so clearly:
"I long for household voices gone,
For vanished smiles I long..."

Mike

A beautiful treatment. I’m glad ET was represented and that we can now, in a sense, share in the service through this account. The symbolism the minister provided couldn’t have been more apt or moving.

A touching tribute indeed, Shelley.

I always admired Miss Lillian so. She lived a quiet and private life, but not reclusive from society. I am sure there were good days, and days of laughter and a bright smile.

Her outlook on life was strong, and she seemed to rarely look back on those sad days. Her garden was an example of her love of life, and her appreciation of it.

She was an extraordinary and remarkable lady.

Tracy Smith

John Clifford said:

My first thought: Is it Phil Gowan the person is mentioning?
The only others I can recall, from South Carolina would be Michael Standardt and Traci Smith.

No, it wasn't me. I'm just finding out about Ms Asplund's death today. And, BTW, it's "Tracy", not "Traci".

Hi Tracy.
I was left wondering if I knew who it was who said they were thinking about flying up to Massachusetts, from South Carolina, for Miss Asplund's funeral. You, Michael, and Phil were the first people I thought of. I did read where Phil chose not to head up there.

I can only wonder who it could have been; possibly someone who read about Miss Asplund being a Titanic survivor, and who is not a member of this Board, or any of the Lists.

quote:

And, BTW, it's "Tracy", not "Traci".
Sorry, my goof, as "Y" and "I" are near each other on the keyboard, and failing to re-check spelling of your name.

Now we can give thanks that Miss Asplund is at peace.

Shelley, I, too, wish to say "Thank You" for your article about the service and burial.​

Thank you for all the kind comments and email.I felt very aware, throughout the service, that around the world, many people were turning their thoughts and prayers to Worcester, or would have wished to have paid personal respects but could not for various reasons. There were some who thought, I am sure, as they had never met her, they should not attend. As for that, how many countless thousands file past the funeral biers of presidents, kings, celebrities,and other luminaries who never met the person, but somehow felt a need to make this final effort? Most present were neighbors and friends, family and co-workers, I had in my lifetime only the pleasure and privilege of a couple hours' visit with Miss Lillian, and a few who attended had never met her- yet we were all one in mind, heart and spirit as we assembled together to honor and remember her remarkable life -and that must surely be a good thing. I hope people who did know her will at some point in the future, share some memories.

I'm personally rather hoping that someone who knew her might write a short biography of her life as a book or maybe a website. I believe that she did want quite a lot of what happened to her to remain with her since she tended to turn down offers for interviews with the press, but I also think that her story should be told, at least in part, to the world.

Carla