Death of the Queen Mother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
While I knew that this particular news would come sooner or later, I was hoping that it wouldn't be quite this soon. I just read a breif announcement through the CBS News website that Elizabeth Bowes Lyon, the Queen Mother passed away this morning in her sleep. The news item is at http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/03/30/world/main505020.shtml

Of all of the British Royal family, I don't hestiate to say that she was the one I admired the most. She was a lady of class and dignity who never lost that quality even in the worst of times. I hope that my friends in the United Kingdom will accept my sympathies and condolances on thier loss.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
We just heard the news ourselves and my wife and I wish to extend our deepest condolences to our British friends and family in this their hour of loss.

In heartfelt sympathy,
Pat and Rose Ann Cook

Steve Santini

Nov 29, 2000
My deepest sorrows and sympathies are extended to all of my friends in the UK. This is indeed a sad loss. Regards, Steve Santini

D

David Seaman

My deepest condolences to all those that feel the loss of one of the finest ladies.
When God walks through his garden he only picks the finest roses.
Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon- Aug 4 1900- Mar 30 2002

David

May 12, 2005
All,

I too extend condolences to my British pals on learning of the loss of their national grandmum.

H.M. Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother was an extraordinarily inspirational figure and her loss is greatly felt.

I am personally saddened as the Queen Mother, through her ladies-in-waiting, was extremely kind to contribute reminiscences for my forthcoming book on "Lucile," who designed a number of trousseau items for the former Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon's marriage to Prince Albert, Duke of York in 1923.

We are all familiar with the Queen Mum's very feminine dress sense; it was a style she kept to from her youth right up to the end. Lucile, in the April 25, 1923 installment of her syndicated fashion column for the London Daily Sketch, wrote:

"...Lady Elizabeth is very petite and dainty and as she has excellent taste in clothes she chooses only what suits her particular type. Her frocks of muslin and voile with sweet veils and collars and cuffs of lace-trimmed organdie, her quaint drooping hats with their trimmings of flowers and ribbon, are ideally suited to her piquant personality..."

This description of the Queen Mother's clothes might have been written this year, they have altered so little over 78 years.

Of course there was more to her than pretty dresses and hats. She was a stalwart, fearless force during England's saddest days - the 2nd World War.

Her statement of courage and duty and of love for her country at that time, when bombs rained down on London, is legendary. Urged to seek shelter in Canada, she declared: "My children will stay with me, I will remain with the King, and the King will never leave."

May God bless,

Randy

15758.gif

The Queen Mum as a young woman, photographed by E.O. Hoppe at the time of her marriage to the Duke of York.

(Message edited by rbigham on March 30, 2002)

R

Robert W. Collier

To our British friends across the pond. We grieve at your nations loss. A great figure who played a noble roll in the history of the world now belongs to the ages. Our prayers are with you.
Respectfully,
Robert W. Collier

A

Ashley Regan

Strange I have been thinking about her all week and today when I tried on an easter hat that looked like something she'd wear.

Condolences to the family. She went as she should in quiet sleep let angels take her to heavenly flight.

Sadly
Ashley

Dec 12, 1999
Sadder yet is what happened on the West Bank today. An 18 year old girl blew herself up, along with several civilians. Tanks tread the streets, firing at will. People are being killed all over like the place is a turkey shoot. Everyone has a score to settle. Everyone thinks he or she is right, and that the other guy is wrong. I'm ashamed at what we've become.

"Intellectual disgrace,
Stares from every human face.
And the seas of pity lie,
Locked and frozen in each eye."

W.E.B. Auden, from
"In Memory of William Butler Yeats" (1939)

Charmaine Sia

Nov 25, 2001
My condolences to all our British friends for their loss. The H.M. Queen Mother went in her sleep, as it is fitting for a lady of her class and distinction to.

Jan, yes, the suicide bombers, the ongoing war, all that is a sad reminder of how man has yet to learn to price the sanctity of human life above all other factors. It is high time that we look back on these trivial "scores" to be settled and ponder with care its consequences.

With heartfelt sympathy,
Charmaine

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
I was very sad to hear of the passing of the Queen Mother.

I will always remember her as an example of quiet strength and inspiration that she was for the British people during the dark days of World War II.

My condolences to the Royal Family and to the British people.

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
I too send my sympathies and condolences to the Royal Famaily and the people of the United Kingdom.

Erik

Kris Muhvic

Sep 26, 2008
An offering of condolences for our friends overseas for the passing of the beloved "Queen Mum".

I have always found her to be of such admirable quality that went across countries and generations. She lived with grace during the most tumultuous and accelerated time in modern history. And she did it perfectly.

Kris

T

Talira Greycrest

Did anyone hear what happened at Queensland's 'DreamWorld' theme park last October. If you didn't, the 'Thunder River Rapids' ride has been permanently closed after a malfunction caused the deaths of four riders.

Status
Not open for further replies.