Death photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2007
That image from the others stayed with me as well. That was a haunting movie on so many levels.

What the name of the book you got Ben?

Ben Lemmon

Feb 6, 2008
The book I have is called Secure the Shadow, just like the former cliche. I found it at my university's library and it is pretty interesting. I plan on reading a bit more of it before I hit the hay. There's also one that I mentioned above. It's called Sleeping Beauty II: Grief, Bereavement in Memorial Photography American and European Traditions.

Geo, do you happen to have a Costco near where you live?

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
Actually, come to think of it, my family took photos of my father's parents in their coffins shortly after they each respectively passed away. That was in the early 2000's!! I forgot all about these photos because I actively avoid looking at them. I guess it's still a practice.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>In Europe, but more in other parts of the world, possibly more religious, graves sometimes bear the photos of the dead ... but, I think, only now when they were alive.<<

In some Asian and Pacific Islander cultures, this appears to be the case. I've seen some of the cemetaries overseas and also in the USA where there are large ethnic Asian populations and the photos Monica mentioned appear on a number of tombstones. None of them are post mortem. Everyone of seen was of the subject when that person was still among the living.

May 27, 2007
Geo, do you happen to have a Costco near where you live?
I don't think so.

We really didn't have this practice in our family or so I thought. Although my grandmother says there was a photo of her great-grandmother who died from cholera or yellow fever in 1870's. But that that photo has passed out of our side of the family.

Ben Lemmon

Feb 6, 2008
We really didn't have this practice in our family or so I thought.
It would be interesting to uncover any photos of this subject area that are from our respective families. From what I have read, though, this seemed to be a practice that happened more commonly with children. I think this is because the elderly will have had a chance within their longer life to get a living photo of themselves. I think, with the older subjects, if there was a posthumous photo taken of them, it was to commemorate their posterity, and to always have a reminder of them. There are a couple of photos with younger children with their deceased parents or grandparents. However, this is only me postulating.

Geo, what did you mean by saying, "That photo has passed out of our side of the family?"

May 27, 2007
Ben,
That was the only case in my family and that was when it was popular. Maybe Great Gramps had seen Memento Mori Photography done and decided that he wanted a photo of Grandma. Although Grandma heard that her Great Grandma was pregnant when she died of Cholera. So that might of had something to do with her being photographed or not.

From what I have read, though, this seemed to be a practice that happened more commonly with children.
Well she might of been Pregnant and there are examples of Memento Pics of Women who died in Childbirth with their infants so maybe that might of had something to do with it although I think that was a one time thing. No other family members were remembered in this way. As for G-G- Grandma's pregnancy well I've never seen the photo and Grandma hasn't seen it since she was 13 and she says she never noticed if Grandma was pregnant or not.

Geo, what did you mean by saying, "That photo has passed out of our side of the family?"

Another branch of the Zane's got it. Grandma's Mother was never that keen of owning a photo of her dead Grandmother it seems so it went to one of her sisters.

May 27, 2007
<font color="ff6000">HA<font color="ff6000">PP<font color="ff6000">Y <font color="ff6000">HA<font color="ff6000">LL<font color="ff6000">OW<font color="ff6000">EE<font color="ff6000">N Folks

Status
Not open for further replies.