Debris Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James Bradley

I am presently completing an article about the deepest wine cellar in the world and am looking for photos of bottles within the wreck site of the Titanic. Can anyone help? I am also looking for information on a possible auction selling of a bottle sometime between 1987 and 1989 that was recovered from the wreck and a bottle that was opened by the French that began salvaging items from the wreck. Can anyone help? I really need the photos and their source. Thanks!

C

Christine Geyer

Hi James,

Since it's strictly forbidden to sell anything from the wreck/debris except pieces of coal I wonder if there was ever an auction about recovered wine bottles. It has often been speculated what profit this would provide but I have never heard about an auction really taking place.

On the internet you can find two good pictures of the wine bottles in the debris field on Corbis:

http://cache.corbis.com/compwm/11/25/13/11251325.jpg

http://cache.corbis.com/compwm/10/08/80/10088099.jpg

as well as on

http://www.titanicresource.com/discovery.htm

Those are even the ones that appear in Robert Ballad's book.

Hope this could help a little. I'll have a look at my Titanic-library when I'm back at home this evening, where you could find other/more pics.

I don'know if the French conservation team has been opening a wine bottle. But I know that the cork in the champagne bottles began to decompose soon after they were recoved. The champagne itself was "spoiled by the seawater".

Many regards
Christine

J

James Bradley

Thanks Christine! Unfortunately the first two links didn't work for me, but I did get to see the Discovery ones. GREAT! I am meeting with another Wine Conissuer today. Yesterday, we were able to identify 15 wines from the bottles alone. As for the bottle mentioned earlier, I remember, unless I'm making it up, that the French may have opened a bottle on the fantail of their research ship in 1987. It was indeed salty. As for the survivability for others, it appears that at least a portion of the bottles HAVE survived, according to experts examining the photos and retrieved relics (I refuse to call them artifacts). According to what we have examined of one bottle of champagne recovered, seawater did compromise the contents, however the cork is in place and the bottle neck now appears to have at least 3 inches of an air pocket. What we are thinking is that carbonation that was compressed for this duration of time, began to expand upon reaching the surface, forcing the liquid out. However, it was just under two hours for the accent, so we're still looking into it. The cork was not removed by the salvors. So, give me time, and my findings will be in the article. ANY other pics would be VERY helpful. Please, try to determine where they originally came from. Thanks! As for the auctioned bottle, I am sure one was auctioned prior to the laws being laid in 1987. Only a little more research will tell.

B

Brandon Ralph Whited

Hello,

I also seem to remember the French team opening up a bottle of wine. I remember a friend of mine thinking that was the coolest thing in the world. LOL

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

C

Christine Geyer

Hi again James,

that sounds absolutely interesting. I'm looking forward to hear more about your research. It's a fascinating theme. I'm no expert in wine but I have to admit that I always found the bottles one of the very "lifely" artifacts. One look at them and the picture and imagination of the great 1st class dining room comes to mind, accompanied by the music...

About the pictures: If you only go to www.corbis.com and give in "Titanic" as keyword you should even come to see the ones with the winebottles.

One more I could find at athttp://www.tt.ee/renza/titanic/uurimine/pildid/debris.htm

I haven't been able to check for my books yesterday but I promise I'll do so this evening !! And I'll check "The last dinner on the Titanic", I thought this had some information about the wines onboard too. And some other that deal with the salvage.

Many regards & see you later
Christine

C

Christine Geyer

James, I have had a look into "The last dinner on Titanic" but it does not contain as much information as I had in mind about the wine. It only said that there were (probably) about 54 sorts of Bordeaux and 48 Bordeaux, Moselle wine and other italian wines on board. But - as it is well known no wine-list has become known until today. Sorry... couldn't find any more.

Regards
Christine

Status
Not open for further replies.