deck cranes

Ken Rote

May 21, 2012
I live in Las Vegas, Nevada
Hi- my name is Ken Rote and I am new to this. For the last 10 years I have been building a 16 foot model of the Titanic. I have about 3700 hours of work into it. My question to te members is on the 8 cranes. I want to know how the boom on the cranes raise and lower? From what I see is the cable is attached with a clevis on one side of the tower and runs the length of the boom, wraps around a wheel on the top end of the boom then goes back to the tower where it is attached with another clevis to the tower. not allowing the boom to raise or lower. The doors on each deck open so you can look down the hallways and are lit with lights. For realism I have used 43,000 pins to make rivets for both sides. I have bought coal from the Titanic shows which is going back into the several coal bunkers to make it as real as possible. Thank you

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
On page 124 of The Birth of the Titanic you can see photos of the cranes near the stern. The hooks are hanging from them. Two lines go out to the end of the jib. Could it be that one raises and lowers the jib and the other raises and lowers the hook? Look closely at the top of the crane at the right hand edge of the photo.