Deck rising.

Michael-McDonnell

Michael-McDonnell

could the deck seeming to rise just be Titanic correcting her port list?
Yeah, when the ship was correcting it's port list it caused water displacement, new air pockets to form and water to leave certain areas to give the Titanic momentary buoyancy and then water go back into those areas.

Reactions: Cam Houseman
Cam Houseman

Cam Houseman

Yeah, when the ship was correcting it's port list it caused water displacement, new air pockets to form and water to leave certain areas to give the Titanic momentary buoyancy and then water go back into those areas.
possibly, yeah. I did some research a while ago and found that Ken said that all the starboard A-Deck promenade's windows were opened during the sinking and they do indeed seem to be open on the wreck. The portside's seem to be open as well but I'm not sure

Michael-McDonnell

Michael-McDonnell

possibly, yeah. I did some research a while ago and found that Ken said that all the starboard A-Deck promenade's windows were opened during the sinking and they do indeed seem to be open on the wreck. The portside's seem to be open as well but I'm not sure
Open during the sinking or when the bow slammed to the sea floor is unclear.

Michael-McDonnell

Michael-McDonnell

The ship was balancing like a see saw as stated in On A Sea Of Glass due to water leaving certain areas and then going back into those areas after the port list was eliminated.

Cam Houseman

Cam Houseman

The ship was balancing like a see saw as stated in On A Sea Of Glass due to water leaving certain areas and then going back into those areas after the port list was eliminated.
Titanic also listed to port and starboard multiple times during the sinking, "rocking," supported by many accounts. Is that what you refer to?

Michael-McDonnell

Michael-McDonnell

Titanic also listed to port and starboard multiple times during the sinking, "rocking," supported by many accounts. Is that what you refer to?
Yeah, Historic Travels talked about this in his video about Part Time Explorer's sinking, of course he didn't know the ship's port list was eliminated until he saw the video, he mentions the ship recovering momentarily before dipping back down due to water being displaced.

Reactions: ShinGoji (Kiefer)
Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

I have the greatest respect for the authors of OASOG but one point I remain unconvinced is about the Titanic coming back on an almost even keel just before the final plunge. I know that several witnesses reported it but IMO that was an illusion created by partial correction of the port list. Before the lights failed, the most visible part of the Titanic to onlookers from lifeboats on the port side would have been the lit portholes, sharply contrasting against the dark hull and the lights on the boat deck. When the port list partly corrected itself, some of portholes would have "come up" as seen from the port side along with less of the boat deck visible. In the semi-darkness, depending on the onlooker's position, this would have appeared like the bow rising slightly and/or the port list correcting itself completely.