Decor of passageways

Jan 5, 2001
Hi João Ricardo ívila de Oliverira Alves!

I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to all types of evidence, not just photos. I think White is a possible candidate for Titanic's corridors on B-deck.

I am not sure which statement you refer to.

In a general message to all at ET -- this is a wonderful message board and full of many generous people who kindly give their time and share knowledge. That is wonderful. While I enjoy participating, time permitting, I fear you will see less of me in the future. Judging from some private e-mails (mostly from non-ET members) that will be for the best. For those who find me offensive, let me assure them that is never my intention.

Best,

Mark.

Dec 7, 2000
All,

So far as I can tell, all corridors were white. I'm not quite sure how B and C deck were panelled, but from a glimpse of the B deck corridor in the mirror reflection of the Adams sitting room (see photo above) you can see it was white.

Daniel.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Mark, if non-members find your posts offensive...or even some members for that matter...that's their problem. Not yours. You're a valued contributor to this board, a fine researcher and I don't see why anyone would have grounds to be offended at your insights.

S

Scott R. Andrews

Mark,

I am in 100% complete agreement with Michael, both regarding your insightful input on this site and elsewhere, and in his assertion that anyone who has taken offense at anything you have posted is the one with a problem! Researchers of your caliber are few and far between, and researchers who demonstrate the sort of generosity you have in freely sharing the knowledge you have gained are rarer still. On top of that, I can honestly say that from both what I have observed here at ET as well as from our own private e-mails, you are amongst the finest people I have had the pleasure to become acquainted with through this common interest of ours.

Best regards,

Scott Andrews

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Mark, the people who matter are the vast majority who fully appreciate your insights and your courtesy. We will hopefully not be deprived of your findings as a result of the discourtesies of a minority who may feel that their own position is indefensible in public.

Tim Brandsoy

Feb 19, 2002
Mark, if they are from non-ET users I don't see why or how that should influence you. Message boards in general have misunderstandings from time to time. People read into things that often aren't intended. Don't worry about it and stick around!

I'm still a 'newbie' after two years.

B

Brian R Peterson

Back to the original point of the passage decor,
I have seen a photograph in "Anatomy of the Titanic" on page 146 that shows a section of First Class passageway on the Olympic, claimed to be Titanic and it is panelled all in white with brass electric candelabras every so often.

Brian

Dec 7, 2000
Brian,

This particular photo has been discussed before, and in fact this is a photo of a cabin that has not yet been furnished (taken early 1911). To make it easy, see the deck plan on pg.147. Refer to the B deck plan (which was originally C deck). It is the cabin next door to the port sitting room. The photo is of cabin B64. The two doors you can see are for the wardrobe room (on the left) and the bathroom (on the right), you can even see some of the sink through the open doors.

You told me in your e-mail that your grandfather mentioned occasioanl brass electric candelabras, but as far as I have been able to tell, these were not fitted throughout any corridors. So far as I have found, the only way the B and C deck corridors were illuminated were by the lights in the ceiling, which were in 8" brass framed, cut glass bowls. See the second last picture in this thread.

Best Regards,

Daniel.

J

João Ricardo Alves de Oliveira

Hey Mark
You are doing a great work to the titanic's history. I Agree with you..We are Titanic researchers and we have to share our ideias about the Titanic and this message abord is a great meeting of the titanic's expert and starters.

N

Nicolas Roughol

Mark,

Although I haven't been here for a long time, I join the other members in hoping that you won't bother with those who might disagree with you, and will remain with the vast majority of us who consider you as one of the most valuable members of ET...

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Sweetie, if I find out who's been messing with you, I'll get my paddle out and punish them the way my papaw used to punish us when we misbehaved. Don't you dare let anyone bully you from leaving this board! You are a beloved member here and deserve to be here. And to you bullies out there, beware! Titanic Mom is on the case.

Kyrila

Nov 9, 2002
Hey,
LOL Kyrila you go! Mark stick around you rock my socks! So if anyone begs to differ......They could talk the the hand cuz the face dont give a d*mn!

Sahand

Renee Jones

Jul 30, 2000
Hi. I'm a brand new poster, but long time lurker. I love this site, and the posters on these boards, all of them, have amazed me with how much they know on this subject. I have learned a lot here and respect the wealth of knowledge displayed by everyone.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Michael, Scott, Bob, Tim, João, Nicolas, Kyrila, Sahand, Renee!

(My apologies if I've missed anyone out or misspelt any names.)

I was alerted to this thread by a private e-mail and would like to express to you all my heartfelt thanks for your support and kind words. I don't think I deserve them, but I certainly appreciate them.

I will stick around, I think, although I will not be able to post as often as I used to for a number of reasons, my health and work among them. Sadly, I gather that the occasional problem is all part of participating in these online forums, and I suppose I am lucky that mine have really only happened in the last nine months or so. That said, I have had one or two people recently who seem hell-bent on blackening my name, for whatever reason. It requires a thick skin at times and a willingness not to take things to heart. I guess I am a little too idealistic.

Anyway, thanks again to you all for your kind support.

Kindest regards,

Mark.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I don't think I deserve them, but I certainly appreciate them.<<

I disagree, but in a positive way.
wink.gif

Mark, as I said, if anyone has a problem with any of the points you've been making or the research you've been sharing, then that's their problem. Not yours. If any of these detractors are stupid enough to try and say otherwise to me privately or publicly, I'll tell them the same thing and just as bluntly.

If any of these people differ with you on some points, then they can sign on as members, present their case in a manner consistant with the rules and take their chances in a proper debate the same as the rest of us do. My bet is that they don't.
smoke.gif

Mike McMillan

Apr 30, 2003
Hello,

I am trying to pick the experts' brains for any info on the Marconi tubes that would have been visible somewhere overhead in the 1/c corridor forward of the GSC. I am modelling that passageway, and was wanting to add in all the misc. odds and ends like those tubes.

I am interested in knowing their possible route to the Marconi Room, what exactly they looked like, how mounted, any tidbits you might have to say about them to get a realistic appearance.

Since this thread is about the appearance of the corridors, here's a low resolution view of part of my representation of the corridor on the Boat Deck just forward of the GSC. This is taken in front of Cabin-U at the juncture of the two perpendicular hallways, looking forward, with cabin-T on the right, and the door into the officers' area at the end of the hall. The wireless operators' bedroom is behind the paneling on the left. The GSC is directly aft. (Model still under construction.)

Sincerely,

Mike Mc

85649.jpg

Mar 3, 1998
Mike,

Do you have the latest issue of the Commutator? I mapped out the Marconigram tube route on the Boat Deck level for Ken, who made a graphic that is seen on the last page of the "Ghosts of the Abyss" article.

For my CG re-construction of the Marconi Room, I used the hangers that are visible in the famous Olympic Marconi Room shot. I suspect similar hangers would be used in the passageways.

I picked a different floor tile for my Boat Deck passageways, based on the same Olympic Marconi Room photo mentioned above and earlier ones taken in Baltic.

Parks

Dec 7, 2000
Parks,

Since I'm working with Mike on the model, I thought I'd chime in. I know which tiles you used in the actual Marconi room, and if I remember correctly, Ken also believes them to be the same tiles as used in the officers' corridor. However the area we're dealing with is the 1st class corridor. As far as I could see from a D deck and an E deck photo, the tiles in the 1st class corridors are similar to the Gymnasium tiles, so these are the tiles we used in the 1st class 'Boat Deck' corridor. The color at the moment is blue, but I think red is more fitting, so this will be changed.

Below is a plan of the section we're dealing with (only the 1st class corridor and cabins). The red arrow shows the view of mike's picture in his post:

85661.jpg

As for the Commutator, there is a small plan, but it doesn't really show the path of the tubes. There's a solid line which indicates the tubes traveled along the staircase wall (behind the paneling) and then turn into the corridor (still a solid line for only a fraction of the way), the rest is a dotted line suggesting it traveled straight along the corridor on the ceiling.

However, on the TRMA board, Bruce said that the tubes would have gone into the gear-room almost straight away after coming through the ceiling of the doorway. It may be my imagination, but the wreck photo included also seems to suggest that. This is because the mechanism that operated the pneumatic tubes was there. After that, it would have come out of the gear room and into the Marconi room.

But I'm still puzzled, the Titanic and Olympic photos show these tubes to be curving to starboard (at the top of the paneling). I would assume they ran along the wall. Perhaps they emerged more to starboard entered either the bedroom or the starboard corner of the Marconi room and then traveled to port and down? What are your thoughts?

Regards,

Daniel.

PS. If you want, you can use my plan to sketch the direction of the tubes.

Mar 3, 1998
Daniel,

I am aware of what you are saying about the tiles, and it's a judgment call. You are putting your trust in a D-deck/E-deck photo, I am trusting in photos from earlier H&W ships. Either one of us could be right, or neither of us could be right, as far as I can tell. I don't really fault your logic...I'm just providing an alternate take on the subject. Maybe Britannic will help us in this...since the wreck is lying on her side, there is little accumulation of silt on her floors and the most amazing views of floor tile patterns can be seen.

I just checked the Commutator and I have to apologise...the plan that shows there doesn't reflect the complete path that I gave Ken. I don't know why that is. I have proof from the wreck footage of the complete path of the pneumatic tubing on Boat Deck, and I drew it out for the Commutator article. Why only a portion of it shows there, I don't know.

The tubing ran directly to starboard from the aft wall of the Marconi Room, cutting through the operators' sleeping quarters. It turned aft in the starboard-side passageway with an easy curve and ran directly aft down the middle of the passageway (in the overhead, of course). The tubing exited the passageway and turned outboard, the tubing running along the forward wall of the entrance area. The tubing then ran downward to C Deck in the entrance wall projection. Because of the easy curve needed for the smooth travel of the pneumatic capsules, the curve had to begin long before the tubing reached a sharp corner.

Bruce's assumption is wrong....I don't know how else to say it. The pneumatic motor is in the elevator machinery room, but at the other end of the line. The portion of the tubing from the pneumatic motor to the Marconi Room is the only intact tubing in the immediate area of the Marconi Room, so no guesswork was involved in locating it. This also makes sense if one understands how the pneumatic carrier system works and the actual shape of the intake piping.

For some reason, I have trouble uploading images to this site. Therefore, I ran a quick render of a portion of my CG model (which is still in work and not yet ready for prime time) and threw it up on my website to illustrate what I mean:

http://marconigraph.com/tubes.jpg

Given more time, I will complete the entire run of the tubes, from elevator machinery room, through the Marconi Room, down to C Deck and then back again.

In the POV that I provided above, you're looking down, aft and somewhat to port into the Marconi Room. The pneumatic tubing runs vertically up from the motor in the elevator machinery room, turns directly forward to cross the passageway, and passes through the aft wall of the Marconi Room and then down into the U-joint seen in my render. In case anyone doubts the configuration of the tubing in the Marconi Room as I have depicted it, it is entirely evident in the Browne photograph...please check it yourself. Although all the tubing in the Marconi Room was swept away in the sinking, the portion in the elevator machinery room survived and stands as of 2001. I selected an image of that tubing for the Commutator, but space restrictions for the article required it to be cut. A single brass pipe is not that exciting.

Hope this helps,
Parks

Dec 7, 2000
Parks,

A HUGE thank you for your reply! I certainly don't know how the whole marconi thing worked, and my sole interest is to know how and where the tubes went visually. Below I indicate what I understand the tubing location looked like. It is very rough, and that angled turn I actually mean to be rounded:

85664.jpg

Am I correct or did I misunderstand something?

As for the flooring, neither of us need be incorrect. You're probably right about the floor in the officers' corridor, however the tiles were most likely different in the 1st class corridor. By August 1911, Titanic was already intended to have the Boat Deck 1st class cabins (the source actually mentions 7 rather than the eventual 6), so the area could have been planned and furnished as 1st class from the start, as opposed to converting it to 1st class after originally being fitted as crew. I'm sure that even on Olympic after the 1912/13 refit, this corridor and of course the area and rooms were altered to match the decor of 1st class, and the floor no doubt relayed.

Daniel.