Decor style of big Piece cabins C79 and C81

Feb 14, 2011
One thing about the "Big Piece" that has always left me puzzled was what was the likly style of decor for suites C-79 and C-81?

In the shipbuilders book, there was an illustration of C-80 I beleive, which would have been on the opposite side of the ship...

So what do you think? In what style were cabins C-79 and C-81 decorated?

Tarn Stephanos

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
I have always wondered the same thing Tarn.
When I saw the big piece in Seattle and walked around to the backside I was trying to imagine the floors and walls extending out from the hull.
Wish I could help with the answer!
Best regards, Don

Dec 7, 2000
And he did!

I did look into this once and I figured it out, but I forgot now!
sad.gif
I'm going away in 3 days, but I'll hopfefully try re-figure it out again when I come back at the end of July.

Daniel.

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi All,

C 76 was of Italian Renaissance decor and C 80 was of Georgian decor.

I would have to say IMO that C 79 was possibly of Empire decor and C 81 of Louis Seize. This is based on a pattern of cabin styles I noticed while looking into decor styles.

Best Regards,

Brian

Dec 7, 2000
Brian,

C76 and C80 on Olympic were Italian Renaissance and Georgian, if you compare Olympic's and Titanic's deck plans, Olympic's C76 and C80 are actually C82 and C86 on Titanic, the Widener and Douglas cabins.

The style Louis Seize (Louis XVI) was only used for the B deck port sitting room (B52), and two other cabins -- B58 and C63.

Daniel.

Jun 4, 2003
Hi all! Two more interior design questions, too:
1) Are there any photos or more info about the first class cabins on E-deck? Could such a cabin be compared to the finest 2nd class accommodation in terms of price, decor etc?
2) What was the decor of 1st class elevators and the second class one? I have seen exterior images of it but never inside of them! I believe there was some chairs or something like that but not for sure!
Thanks for all your help!

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
>>2) What was the decor of 1st class elevators and the second class one? I have seen exterior images of it but never inside of them! I believe there was some chairs or something like that but not for sure!
Thanks for all your help!<<

Cameron's Titanic would be a good example of how the elevators looked like inside, but I don't know whether Second Class looked the same or different. Probably not.

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi George,

>>1) Are there any photos or more info about the first class cabins on E-deck? Could such a cabin be compared to the finest 2nd class accommodation in terms of price, decor etc?<<

I do not know of any actual E Deck cabin photos; however they would not differ much in decor to a 2 or 3 berth cabin on any other deck. That being white paneled walls with carpet, a washstand, a mirrored desk and the beds, and the porthole if it was an inside cabin, though some oddly shaped outside cabins on E Deck actually had a small corridor leading to a porthole.

Prices for First Class and Second Class cabins would of course differ, the decor is significantly different as well, First Class cabins would have seperate beds whereas Second Class had bunk beds with privacy curtains.

>>2) What was the decor of 1st class elevators and the second class one? I have seen exterior images of it but never inside of them! I believe there were some chairs or something like that but not for sure! <<

I believe that Titanic's First Class elevators were elegant judging from photos of the area on Olympic, the entrance had retractable wrought iron gates, and the cab was oak paneled with a settee along the back.

The Second Class elevators had oak doors with round windows, as for the cab I believe IMO that it was also oak paneled but perhaps there was no settee.

Best Regards,

Brian

Dec 7, 2000
All,

The 1st class elevators in Cameron's movie were incorrect, Titanic's and Olympic's elevators were paneled differently. I'm going from memory here, but in the 1st class lifts there was a [removable] settee there, while in the 2nd class one I think there was a fold up one.

As for E deck, almost all of it could be used as 2nd class cabins if needed. In fact the only permanent 1st class cabins were E200 - E203. However cabins up to E68 were used as 1st class on Titanic's voyage, and were probably usually kept as 1st class cabins on Olympic as well. However all cabins aft of E43 had those double bunks that Brian mentioned. All the cabins as far aft as E88 had carpet on the floor. All other 2nd class cabins had linoleum. This was the main difference between the aft E deck 1st class cabins, and the actual 2nd class cabins themselves.

Daniel.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
>>The 1st class elevators in Cameron's movie were incorrect<<

Aaarrrggghhh!!!
blush.gif

Who was the fool who told me they were exact replicas??!!

Dec 7, 2000
Jeremy,

I often wonder just how little was known back in the mid-90's, or was it just how little did the set building crew listen to Ken. It obviously cost a pretty penny to build the sets, and Cameron was trying to make it accurate. Some of the mistakes were due to lack of knowledge, but others seem to be for other reasons such as artistic license. If they were going to build the sets and the info was known, why didn’t they just do it correctly?

If you look at that illustration of passengers exiting and entering the elevators (pg.14 of last dinner on the Titanic -- and can also be found in Illustrated History) you can already see that the elevators look different to what Cameron had. The illustration isn't detailed, but gives you a much better impression of the interior of the elevator cabs.

Daniel.

B

Brian R Peterson

Jeremy,

As Dan had said, the Titanic's elevators differed from Olympic's, one of the many subtle differences in decor between the ships that usually goes unnoticed except by people who know where and what to look for.

Had Cameron based his lifts on Olympic's I think you would have more of a debate on the issue than now. Money is probably the best reason these sets are historically inaccurate, for instance Thomas Andrews' A 37 cabin having the same paneling as the Gymnasium, some sets were re-used as a cost cutting measure and others, as before stated were created using artistic license.

Best Regards,

Brian

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
>>Thomas Andrews' A 37 cabin having the same paneling as the Gymnasium<<

No wonder the panelling looked so familiar!

If with cost cutting measures the production cost was one of the highest in movie history (or was it the highest?), then if they were to do everything exact, the costs would be blown sky high......

Feb 14, 2011
I should think Andrews's cabin should have been similar style to Father Brown's cabin, 2 photos of which can be found in the father Brown book....

B

Brian Hawley

Olympic's lifts were white inside with mirrors on the 3 walls. This was not known by the set folks when Cameron's model was built.

Brian

Dec 7, 2000
All,

I didn't mean to confuse anyone by saying that Titanic's vs Olympic's elevators were paneled differently. What I meant is that Titanic's and Olympic's elevators were exactly the same, which was different to how they were built on the Cameron set.

[Brian] < This was not known by the set folks when Cameron's model was built. >

Even so, some form of an elevator cab that resembled the one in the illustration (which was known by then) would have produced a more accurate elevator.

Andrew's cabin would have been exactly the same as the Fr. Browne cabin. If people look at some of the sketches in the Cameron movie book, they will see that originally the cabin was drawn correctly, but by the time it was built for the set, it had changed dramatically .... I wonder what the story was there.

Regards,

Daniel.