Deleted scenes discussion spoilers within

Oct 8, 2005
So, for those of you that have also had a chance to watch them, what do you think of the deleted scenes? Do you think Cameron was wise to cut so much or are there are any scenes you think should've been left in?

Personally I think he was wise to cut most of them, but I think the Jack vs Lovejoy scene should've been kept, along with the fate of the Cartmell family (which actually surprised me because got much more distressed watching that clip than I thought I would). I also liked Rose visiting third class and the Fabrizio/Hegla love subplot was rather sweet. I liked Rose freaking out in her suite just before the suicide attempt scene, and the "shooting star" scene with her and Jack on deck at night was nice. Molly Brown saying "how 'bout a little ice" with the burg sailing by outside the window after the collision was amusing. The extended scene on deck with Jack/Rose just after the collision with the burg. The scene with the crew calling the Californian was very good too. Finally, the extended sequence on the Carpathia was well done too.

The scenes I thought Cameron was wise to cut were all the ones not mentioned. I did like Brock getting pushy about the diamond and Lizzie telling him to back off but I'm not sure if it would've fit. I didn't like much that first deleted scene with Rose and her maid...and the pulling the Chinese man out of the water scene seemed rather unnecessary since we learned from Old Rose that people other than her were also rescued.

What are your thoughts?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Do you think Cameron was wise to cut so much or are there are any scenes you think should've been left in?<<

I think he was wise to cut them, but perhaps not for the reasons one may think. The theatrical release as it was stretched out a good three hours and forteen minutes. Adding some or all of those scenes would have extended that to nearly four hours. I think you'ed have a hard time finding a lot of people willing to sit in the theatre that long.

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
I have actually edited together a DVD of a "Directors Cut" with many of the deleted scenes worked back into the movie for my own personal viewing use. As Michael stated, it is well over four hours long (it spans over three discs for best picture quality). But i do believe that Cameron was wise for deleting what he did (although i do believe the movie wouldnt have been too long with just the extra historical footage added, not the love story). The Californian scene works great in the movie, it is a nice break between all the steamy love.. I enjoyed the scene where Rose goes into the General Room to see Jack, but the scene on the Keldysh makes the movie drag a bit. The extended scene in the Promenade Suite works good too, but works better if you cut out the last part where Cal enters Roses room.

I think Cameron did a good job with his directors cut, but its fun for me to watch the version i have created.

Reactions: 1 user

Johan Jonsson

Apr 4, 2005
Well I HATED the alternate ending and all the keldysh sequences. It makes Brock really greedy even though Rose had just told everybody about the tragic story.. I think It's better with the old ending that show how affected they all get by her story and that they understand that there is more to Titanic than just a stupid diamond. However, the part where Rose says: "Can you exchange one life for another? A caterpillar changes into a butterfly. If a mindless insect could do it, why couldn't I?". Is just beautiful and would have been left as it was. It would only have made the movie about 5 seconds longer.

Also, I think that the "Shooting star" scene was beautiful and SHOULD HAVE BEEN LEFT IN THE MOVIE!

Almost every cut scene is great, but they all work better as selfstanding scenes than actual parts of the movie itself. I have been a HUGE fan of the movie ever since 1997, and I must say that the original cut is, after all, the best cut of it.

Still, it is a bit sad that the cut scenes are not branched out over the movie as the behind-the-scenes pods are, since many people would have wanted to se them integrated into the movie better.

Sep 5, 2005
i agree about the butterfly part and the shootingstar --if they weren't in before, they should have been.the reason i say it like that is that when i watched the scenes, i thought i had seen it before. although i loved the movie, there were scenes that stayed in the movie that could have been cut--rose and jack running around in the water, the scene in the car, the riffraff with cal's butler, some of the stuff when the titanic is heavily sinking. some of that just goes on too long. don't shoot me!

S

sharon rutman

I haven't had to view the 2005 Directors Cut yet--I just got it the other day. I've already dubbed it James Cameron and his ego complete with all the goodies he scraped off the cutting room floor. Once again, judging from other ending intended for the flick, the salvors still look bad. Poor Brock evidently has a change of heart -- how could he have been such a greedy capitalist slimeball, shamelessly exploiting the Titanic so he could cash in on finding that stupid diamond. Remember at the beginning of the film Brock and his somewhat weight challenged partner Lewis Bodine (political correctness lives) come across like a couple of smirking frat boys when they first come across the wreck. Brock makes a hypocritical speech about the being awed by the ghostly images of the ship rising from the deep. Bodine, who can barely suppress the laughter, remarks, "Boss you are so full of s--t (we can't use that word on line. Someone might get the vapors.) The anti-salvage message rings through loud and clear! Anyone daring to disturb Titanic's final resting place is either a greedy parasite or an insensitive ghoul.

Mary Hamric

May 4, 1999
If I could pick one scene to have left in there it would have been the extended Carpathia scene. It was very moving to see that. It brought tears to my eyes.

I do like a lot of the scenes and if they worked in Rose going down to third class, the Californian wireless scene and the shooting star scene I think it would have been great but it would havtacked on about 15 minutes to the ending.

I HATED the alternate ending...it felt so forced and preachy and like the ending of some action movie like Independence Day or whatever. It had a sense of cheese and it felt emotionally inappropriate. I'm glad he cut it. It was nice to see it stand alone though.

I, like most of the preview audiences, hated the Lovejoy scene. I'm glad to have seen it but it felt "too much". I felt it was enough they were dealing with being chest deep in a sinking ship...to have Lovejoy pursue them felt like overkill.

S

sharon rutman

Here's a scene that should have been cut--Cal slapping Rose around in his cabin after the collision. That grossed me out--just what we don't need--violence against women. Isn't this the same Cal who tried to woo Rose so sweetly if she would just open up her heart to him?

I wasn't thrilled with the alternate ending--Old Rose manage to exceed her mother with her malicious pettiness as she dangled that stupid diamond before the astounded Brock and company before casually tossing it overboard. What an evil, nasty old biddy she turned into!!! It also became obvious that Brock was under alot to pressure to find the diamond or his rich backers were going to cut off his funding. I genuinely felt sorry for Brock--that sadistic witch had the diamond the whole time and played him for a chump.

Mary Hamric

May 4, 1999
Umm, well that was the point of Cal hitting Rose...to show he was a jerk. I mean, his fiance did just cheat on him...what you expect? Him to give her a hug and a kiss?

S

sharon rutman

That doesn't excuse his striking her. In Titanic 1953 Julia Sturgess confessed that she cheated on her husband and gave birth to son that wasn't his and I don't recall Clifton Webb slugging Barbara Stanwyck. Just take back the diamond and call the whole thing off.

Jul 12, 2003
Brock and his crew went in search of the diamond, not for anything else. I think she didn't mention that she possessed the diamond because she wanted Brock to see Titanic as more than just a "treasure hunt". Besides, it was her diamond to do with as she saw fit. And, in the end, he did admit that he never let Titanic in. He learned a little something from Rose I believe.

I don't know if I would have tossed the thing overboard. But, I certainly wouldn't have given it to him. Perhaps a museum.

On a more romantic side, she wanted to put the Heart of the Ocean where her heart lay...where Jack perished and revealing herself to Brock was her chance to do this.

S

sharon rutman

One scene that should have been left in--it's the part where Brock is clearly under alot of pressure to find the diamond or else his wealthy backers will yank the funding for his expedition. So poor Brock wasn't really greedy or insensitive after all--he was a pawn in a much bigger scheme to find that elusive diamond. I genuinely felt sorry for Brock at that point--his arm was being twisted by unknown forces beyond his control and he was played for a sucker by a old lady who had the thing with her the whole time after she tells her weepy tale of ill fated love and on the high seas for three whole hours.

Isn't it also strange that the Titanic serves as the backdrop as a treasure hunt for things that weren't on board. In that memorable clunker Raise the Titanic there was the frantic search for byzantium which lead to the Titanic being physically lifted out of the ocean. Only-ha, ha--the stuff wasn't there--it was buried with that miner. And of course we all know about Cameron using the same ploy to find the Heart of the Ocean which wasn't there either. Old Rose had it the whole time!

Another scene that should have stayed depicted Rose's mom touring the gym. Instructor McCauley (sorry if I misspelled the name) politely asks Mommy Weirdest wants to try the rowing machine. Of course, in a voice reeking with disdain, Mom responds that she couldn't think of a more useless skill than rowing and she would never need it. I couldn't stop laughing at the irony of that silly remark.

J

Jordan Tancevski

the best part was when rose punches the punching bag... it shows how much she wants to give cal and her mother a good old black eye

A

Adam Tarzwell

My favourite deleted scenes are when Rose goes as seeks out Jack in the 3rd class common area and I would have liked to see that in the film. Aslo the Californian scenes should have definately been included and how about the people on Carpathia actually recieving the distress signal! I guess to have the love story some of these historical instances had to be left out but I dunno.... I liked Rose punching the punching bag too
happy.gif

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
>>In our eyes it doesn't. Attitudes were rather different on that score in 1912.<<

I think that is what Cameron wanted to convey. There are other scenes in which Cameron showed us the social overtones of 1912 (acting as if servants aren't in the room, the way women are supposed to act, etc etc). I disagree that the scene should have been taken out because it shows what sort of man "Cal" was and showed how many men treated their wives (and children for that matter). I don't believe Cameron was trying to justify domestic abuse (and I grew up in a house where my father used to beat my mother). "Cal" gets his in the end in more ways than one...

>>Another scene that should have stayed depicted Rose's mom touring the gym. Instructor McCauley (sorry if I misspelled the name) politely asks Mommy Weirdest wants to try the rowing machine. Of course, in a voice reeking with disdain, Mom responds that she couldn't think of a more useless skill than rowing and she would never need it. I couldn't stop laughing at the irony of that silly remark.<<

The scene works wonderfully in the movie, as does the latter scene in there during the sinking. They work great in the movie and show us the Gym in action and not just as a pure backdrop. But I can see why Cameron chose to cut the scenes, it makes the film lag and it sorta begins to feel like a made for TV "Lifetime" Movie.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I don't believe Cameron was trying to justify domestic abuse<<

Neither do I. Quite the opposite in fact.

>>"Cal" gets his in the end in more ways than one... <<

Yep...loses the girl, eventually loses his fortune, puts a pistol into his mouth and pulls the trigger. [Insert loud cheers from theatre audiance here...mine included]

A

Adam Tarzwell

When I saw the film for the first time the crowd at the cinema cheered the loudest when Rose spit in Cal's face
happy.gif
myself included.

May 6, 2003
I think some scenes were still left out. For example on Titanic explorer for PC, there are some clips of the Grand staircase sinking at different angles, or for another ex. There is a scene where some third class people are running up the D deck landing just as water is coming from E deck. Anywya i would like to have seen them in the DVD.

S

sharon rutman

Some changes I would have made:

Rose should have slugged Cal right back after he hit her. Clearly she just couldn't take his arrogance anymore and it would have been far more satisfying then her spitting at him before she runs away from the life boat.

Scenes to be swapped: Speaking of spitting, I would have gotten rid of that horrible scene where Jack is teaching the finer points of proper spitting to Rose for the scene where Rose, all properly dressed up in yellow, is searching for Jack in the Third Class common area. The accompanying pulse pounding music was great!!!

Most useless character--Lewis Bodine.