Democracy breaks out on message board webmaster demands recount

• Thread starter Encyclopedia Titanica
  • Start date
Encyclopedia Titanica

Encyclopedia Titanica

Philip Hind
Staff member
I've been scratching my head to think of new discussion categories which might help to spread things out a bit on the board. It seems a bit of a shame to shunt discussions to the closed section just because they are a bit long. Now that the board self-archives this isn't such a problem. However it might be useful to add a couple of more discussion areas. I'd like to hear suggestions for new areas which we could add.

e.g.
These topics come up a lot and might have their own sections:

* Technical / construction / layout
* The Californian / Mystery ship /Rockets
* The Sinking
* FAQ - In which people ask themselves an obvious question about the Titanic and then proceed to answer it for the benefit of newbies.

I think modelling is covered in another board so we might avoid that one.

I need good titles for these too!

I am open to any suggestions as to how we might take the board forward so if anyone has a burning issue that they would like to support a discussion on let me know.

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

Hi Phil; an FAQ page would be a good idea. Some of the other aspects such as the sinking can be covered under technical, and I would reccommend That a technical folder be labled as you just put it: "Technical/Construction/Layout" if you decide to start it. Or perhaps"Rivet Counters." I'm not sure if it would serve well in the long run as most technical questions and debates would tend to gravitate to the General Folder, but it's worth a try.

Hope this election works out better then the fiasco in Florida.
Happy

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Maureen Zottoli

Maureen Zottoli

Wow, Phil, you may become President if we don;t dimple the Board doing this! ha ha

Anyway, thanks so much for asking us.

I kinda agree with Michael about the sinking thing and the technical being closely associated.
Sinking normally brings up several ideas.

Perhaps "Technical Structure/Construction/Layout" for those regarding technical and architectural specs and "Science/Research/Scientific Phenomonen" for stuff on stress loads, metalurgy, refraction and stuff like that. And "locations and positions" for stuff regarding ship locations/positions and lifeboat positions/locations.

The other recommended ideas I think are wonderful, like the "FAQs" and also the "Californian, Mystery Ship and Rockets".

Thanks again for asking us Phil.
Maureen.

Tracy Smith

Tracy Smith

Of course, you know I'll go for the Californian, Mystery Ship, and Rockets category. The other categories are great, too

B

Bill Wormstedt

We'll know Old Rose died at the end of the movie - when Phil Gowan finds the death certificate!

Maureen Zottoli

Maureen Zottoli

Dear Bill,
FAQ: Phil has Old Rose's death certificate. He found it on the cutting floor right next to the close-up of Larry Hagman as Captain Lord with the purple, pink and lavender colored rockets in the background to bring out his cheeks.

(you guys are a riot!) giggles galore
Maureen.

K

Kimberley Dayle Edwards

Hi Everyone,
Do you think a thread for the Titanic fashions would be a good idea? I think that would be quite succesful too.
Hope this helps
Kimberley

Encyclopedia Titanica

Encyclopedia Titanica

Philip Hind
Staff member
Thanks for these suggestions, keep them coming, I have added in a few new categories but we can always change them or create new ones.

David G. Brown

David G. Brown

RIP
Phil--

How 'bout a more formal type of posting that would require peer review and revision somewhat the way scientific publications operate.

My thought is that everyone who is a regular participant in the forum could list area(s) of expertise. Authors would post "drafts" to these people who would respond, perhaps anonymously. The authors could then rewrite and correct before publication. (Or, at least they could address the criticism in their text.)

Prior to official publication on the TE site, the authors would have to provide documentation in the form of endnotes, etc. on the sources of their facts.

The idea would be to build "nuggets" of well-researched information that has been through the fire of criticism. Not everyone is working on a book-length project. In fact, I believe most people are interested in much narrower aspects of the story. This would provide an outlet for these authors. And, because of peer review, the information would be a reliable resource for those of us who do serious, book-length manuscripts.

-- David G. Brown

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

I'm not sure a peer reveiw section would be useful on a general and decidedly informal forum, but it may well be a useful section elsewhere on the board to help out authors and aspiring authors. I don't have the kind of access and materials that some do, but I'd be glad to help out to whatever extent I can.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Inger Sheil

Inger Sheil

Phil - Like the new subject headers...and is that a hint of that wry English humour of yours in the subject descriptions?

David - only problem I see with the idea of peer review is that this is one field with far too many self-proclaimed experts!

Ing

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

It might be helpful if active discussions rotate to the top of the list in all the folders anytime sombody posts to them. It would save a lot of time when searching for a thread in which there is an on-going interest.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Encyclopedia Titanica

Encyclopedia Titanica

Philip Hind
Staff member
That should happen already Mike. When a new topic is posted it is added to the top of the list. Similarly when a reply is posted it causes that thread to be listed above all others. In this way the active discussion is always at the top of the list.